Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Frustration Rant page 2

The Big L is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

I'm sorry to hear of all your troubles with loved ones who use CW as an excuse to try to control your diet. I can relate.

I got a cold a few weeks ago that's been tough to shake. The other day my wife correctly pointed out that I rarely get sick for this long at a time. I could sense what was coming next. "I think it's because of your diet change! I really think you need some bread."

I pointed out that I've actually replaced bread with healthier carbs (fruits and veggies) in my diet, and that her advice would amount to replacing fruits and veggies with bread. I asked her if she had ever heard anyone in her entire life say that it's good for one's health to replace fruits and veggies with bread. She admitted that she had not. But then, "The problem is you don't get enough carbs. You need to eat those fruits and veggies AND add bread back into your diet."

I asked her if she could think of any reason why bread or an increase in carbs would have a healing affect on my body, or would have prevented my illness in the first place. She could not, but is still convinced that lack of carbs/bread is the reason I'm still sick. BTW, I'm eating about 100g of carbs per day. CW casts a strong spell.

Timothy is offline Senior Member

Lillian, you have my greatest sympathy.

My own family said nothing at first because, well, I'm grown up and out of the house and nobody knew that I was doing this except my wife. But my body soon turned into a billboard for primal living. I expected my mother to be opposed when I told her, and at first she was shocked -- when I said I was eating loads of saturated fat and bacon fried in butter, she gasped like I'd kicked her in the gut, and said, "well, that's what your Uncle Dwayne did every day." That poor gentleman, like several of my relatives, died of extreme obesity. My dear mom was heading the same way despite avoiding Uncle Dwayne's bacon. But what else did he eat with his bacon? "Hash browns... biscuits... toast..." I didn't press the point. I just wanted to plant the seed.

A month later, my mother is actually going primal. I didn't believe it at first, but now she's sending me emails on the joys of kale fried in butter with salt and cinnamon (ooookay, mom) and has already lost several pounds and seems to be changing her entire life.

Lillian, I think that in time, your example too will speak louder than any words, in contrast to the symptoms of your CW-eating family. There is no better answer to their irrational criticisms than increasingly radiant health.

In the meantime, I suggest you find a way to see the funny side of it all. Following another poster, I now mentally substitute the words "pure sugar" when I hear anyone say "rice". It's hilarious, like adding "in bed" to the end of fortune cookies. You should try it!

maba is offline Senior Member

Lillian, I could have written your post just a few months ago. I'm Asian too and most of our meals are centered around rice also. My parents never said anything about my diet but were (still are) reluctant to try Primal WOE because they get the exact opposite advice from their doctors. They thought I could handle the diet since I'm still young. Both of them grew up eating traditional foods that included lot of butter/ghee etc., but are changing all that now because of the "experts" advice. My husband, a physician, on the other hand was completely against my diet and I have myself written many rants like yours here on MDA. But over time, he has crossed over to the bright side He's not primal (currently, even I'm only semi-primal) yet, but is not scared of eating fats. Since I'm the cook at home, it's easier for us to follow Primal WOE. It took him time, but I was persistent and would show him studies every now and then. And he saw the changes in me. He himself has lost 10 lbs without even being primal, but eating less processed foods and including good fats. What I'm trying to say in short is, I totally empathize with you. It'll take time to convince your family members, they won't make changes overnight. Maybe you can start by having them eliminate processed foods. I highly recommend Sally Fallon's "Nourishing Traditions". While it's not grain-free, the book talks about including healthy fats in your diet and discusses how to remove anti-nutrients from grains. Maybe you can give it to your mom and have her read it. I'm sure your grandma would recognize some of the traditional techniques described in the book.

Right now, it's only my husband who's on my side but I haven't lost hope that the rest of my family will someday realize that CW's nutrional advice is totally wrong. Good luck to you!

Lillian is offline Member

Thank you everyone for all your advice and support.. It helps to be able to draw strength from such a helpful community like MDA I definitely hope that over time, they'll become more primal and follow less CW. For now, I'll just have to keep at it and in the meantime, enjoy the abundance of meat and fat, since no one else in my family seems to share my enthusiasm. I did however, manage to convince my mother to start looking into buying pure pastured beef and more organic foods, so that's a step in the right direction. And as I'm doing research, more and more articles are popping up that debunk CW myths so there might be more hope in the future.

*crosses fingers*

slesca is offline Senior Member
    Rural midwest; just outside a mid-sized city

I always try to remember that I didn't change my mind about fat overnight and that it was a gradual acceptance and learning process. It's hard when I'm enthusiastic about something not to want everyone else in my life to immediately accept it. But, if it's a true lifestyle change, people will get used to it and some may even start wondering about it.

DarthFriendly is offline Banned

I care about my family, and friends, but I know better than to think that they'll listen to me.

Focus on your own development, and enjoy your family for what positive things they offer you.

A chinese friend of mine recently admitted that by about 30 asian's rice consumption begins to catch up with them.

And I heard today that china is facing a diabetes epidemic, one in ten. O_O

Lillian is offline Member

DarthFriendly, I've been seeing information pop up about diabetes and China also. I strongly believe that it's due to the increase of meat, fat, and processed foods ALONGSIDE the intake of rice. My mother uses the point that she was raised on rice and veggies with little to no meat (she's fairly healthy) but I try to point out that most of the people depended on rice because of the boom in population and the scarcity of food. Rice was dense enough in calories to sustain them but you can see the deficiencies in their statures. Example: Maasai versus Asians.. Unfortunately, I was raised on this belief that rice is essential and now I am somewhat vertically challenged.. only 5'

DarthFriendly is offline Banned

Lilian, in the report I heard about the china diabetes thing, more sedantary lifestyles, and the introduction of more processed junkfoods was mentioned as being thought to be responsible. (Gee, ya figure?)

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member

I think that sugared carbonated drinks got the whole thing rolling. They'd been eating rice for millennia, but the exposure to refined sugar was brand new.

Kitty is offline Member

I'm sorry to hear about some of you guys with no support or frustrations. I'm lucky that my other half is so supportive but then he's seeing first hand the benefits of it I was getting to abpoint where I was just getting fatter and fatter.

He is, I would say, 80% primal as I set him up with a BAS for lunch and always cook dinner. I haven't bought bread for three months and four weeks ago when he bought a crusty loaf looked at me and said "it just looks horrible" I have substituted pots for sweet pots and buy organic and pastured dairy. Sadly I can't do dairy but at least he benefits! The best thing is that my friends will always call me for a food list when we go for dinner.

It's been a process where I have let results and taste ( when cooking) speak first and what I learn in smalleasured doses Good luck!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast