Thread: Tegretol and Seizures page

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!

Tegretol and Seizures

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Interesting read on the Tegretol on another thread...who all is trying to control seizures through low-carb? I have actually been off of Tegretol for just over two years with no seizures! I have only had a few in my life, but they were grand mal and I have a family history of seizure disorders. I went Gluten and dairy free after my second pregnancy 6+ years ago and could feel like I was on the right track to getting off my meds then.

I remember they wanted to put me on an extended release tegretol and that didnt agree with me. Actually, the generic brand didnt agree either...I need the regular Tegretol only!

Are you all still taking it or trying to get off of it?

Paleobird Guest
    Tegretol was the first drug I was prescribed when my seizures started at age 22. The side effects were so nasty that I actually preferred the seizures.

I am now on a mix of Phenobarbitol and Valproic Acid which has the seizures under complete control. I would like to start cutting back on the dosage and seeing if I can have the same control with less meds. That is my next project.

mine started at 14 --- a few months after I first started to menstruate. So I guess I've had hormonal issues early on. My only seizures happened during times of high stress, right before my period would start. I honestly can hardly believe I'm drug free...but sometimes it's scary if hubby is away for a night. I like the reassurance that someone is there if something should happen. How old are you not paleo? I was on meds for over 15 years...that alone is scary. My brother has a more severe seizure disorder and is still on meds---but eats SAD.

Paleobird Guest
    I'm 50 now. I tossed the Tegritol the campus health center had given me as soon as I graduated and went unmedicated for years. Then I found the Phenobarbitol which took the frequency down to maybe once a month. I added the Valproic acid in 2006 and have been seizure free since then.

I have also been through some pretty traumatic junk since then including cancer and all the meds that go with it. The last of those meds to prevent a recurrence is a five year prescription which runs out this coming February. Once that has cleared my system, then I plan to work on reducing the seizure meds. It's not good to fool around with too many variables at once.

true on the variables...
    when did you go primal?
    can I ask what kind of cancer you dealt with?

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by solstice View Post
    true on the variables...
    when did you go primal?
    can I ask what kind of cancer you dealt with?
    I went low carb in 2009, fully Primal in 2010 which just meant cutting the soy and dairy. It was breast cancer. Loads of fun.

My maternal side is loaded with cancer...breast, thyroid, colon. I realize this puts me at super high risk. This is also the side with seizure disorders. I'm hoping to lower my cancer chances by staying true to eating well and moving---two things that my maternal relatives do not do. Glad you are cancer free!

I never had any nasty side effects with Tegretol...although while in high school I felt it made me feel "dumb" and also made me tend to gain weight---not sure if either of those are true or not.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by solstice View Post
    My maternal side is loaded with cancer...breast, thyroid, colon. I realize this puts me at super high risk. This is also the side with seizure disorders. I'm hoping to lower my cancer chances by staying true to eating well and moving---two things that my maternal relatives do not do. Glad you are cancer free!

I never had any nasty side effects with Tegretol...although while in high school I felt it made me feel "dumb" and also made me tend to gain weight---not sure if either of those are true or not.
    Each person's body chemistry is going to react differently with each medicine. I know people who think tegratol is the greatest thing ever.
    Most anti-convulsants don't make you gain weight per se but they sure make it harder to lose weight. Another reason that I would like to have them as much out of my system as possible. There are also the long term effects to be considered like buildup in the kidneys and liver.