Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does clenching work? page

YogaBare is offline Senior Member

Does clenching work?

Primal Fuel
    So, to get a perkier bum, women are generally recommended to do butt clenches.

Does anyone know if this actually works, and if so, what are the mechanics of it? It doesn't make sense to me that just tensing a muscle (without it supporting / lifting any weight) would help it strengthen and tone.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    it won't do much

/professional answer
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    Feels good to do it, though.
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

ciep is offline Senior Member
    Only if done correctly. Post a vid so we can critique your form!

Quote Originally Posted by ciep View Post
    Only if done correctly. Post a vid so we can critique your form!
    Haha... if the clenching works I'll post a vid!

I read that it's a isometric contraction... but can't find the right data on the science of how these apparently work on the body.

zilog is offline Senior Member
    I read that it's a isometric contraction
    AFAIK these can be of great benefit when combined with static stretches for flexibility purposes BUT you need some degree of strength already for them to be effective. As far as strength improvements go - I doubt it - generally the rule is if it's hard work then it's doing you good, if it's too easy then not so much. As to toning - there's no such thing so clearly not.

There is a great article in the use of isometric contractions in stretching here: Tricks Tutorials.com

ciep is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    I read that it's a isometric contraction... but can't find the right data on the science of how these apparently work on the body.
    That is correct, it would be an isometric contraction -- which simply means that the muscle you're contracting is neither lengthening or shortening while flexed (or to put it another way, it is not creating motion at a joint).

Isometric contractions can be fantastic for strengthening muscles, but they're far more effective when done against resistance (and probably to the point of fatigue). Classic PBF example would be doing planks. I can't see how flexing a muscle against no added resistance for "reps" is likely to do anything.

The best glute exercises are sprints, squats, and deadlifts (and kettlebell swings if you're into that).

TorMag is offline Senior Member
    In his book 4 hour body, Tim Ferris talks about some girl winning a butt competition by just having done kettlebell swings for 6 months. Take some before pictures first, do the swings and then post the after pics. We will help you judge how it worked.
    I Kettlebell therefore I am.

My Journal
    My Journal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast