Thread: Bone Broth Marrow page

vb66 is offline Senior Member

Bone Broth Marrow

Primal Fuel
    Hi all!

I've searched the threads but haven't been able to come up with an answer on my own. I made a batch of bone broth last night in my slow cooker. I did the simple, carrot, celery, onions in the bottom, threw in about 2kg of bones and a piece of oxtail, some vinegar, and let er rip for about 12hrs overnight.

When I took the bones out this morning I noticed there was still quite a bit of the marrow (white squishy stuff) inside the bone cavities. I scooped it all out and saved it in a little tupperware container. Now, I'm not sure if my broth worked correctly. Shouldn't the marrow have dissolved into the broth? What should I do with the saved marrow?

The broth is cooling in the fridge right now forming a nice layer of fat over the top. I hope it is gelatinous too. We shall see.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    i don't use a slow-cooker, but it takes a long time for the marrow to widge its way out of the bones in my stockpot. it's fine to just push it out and add it to the broth. or just melt it into scrambled eggs.

most cw recipes suggest defatting the broth once it's chilled. i save it along with the broth and use bits of it each time i use the broth. adds mouthfeel and flavor and is a good way to get pure animal fat.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

vb66 is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the reply!

How long will the marrow and the stuff I skimmed off the top keep in the fridge?

KerryK is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vb66 View Post
    Thanks for the reply!

How long will the marrow and the stuff I skimmed off the top keep in the fridge?
    I get nervous keeping more than 2-3 days, but I'd love to hear from someone else that's more experienced. (I have to dig out 1/2 the marrow, too, even after 72 hours).

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ErasmoHar View Post
    most cw recipes suggest defatting the broth once it's chilled.
    right, because animal fat will kill you instantly, on the spot, zomg, your heart will burst all over the kitchen.

not sure how long marrow will keep, a few days at best, but you can freeze it. i'd just add it back to the stock or eat it over the next couple days.

i put about 12 oz. of jiggly broth in ziploc bags and freeze those flat. when defrosted, each bag has about 3-4 servings in it -- i add water back to eat it since it's condensed down. it keeps over a week. you're boiling it again before you eat it which will kill any potential pathogens. this is common professional kitchen technique. trust me, they are not making stocks everyday. that's' a once per week project for them. i made oceans of it in january and am still eating from that.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

longing2bfit is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I make my bone marrow broth in a crockpot, cooking for 72 hours, after about 48 I take the bones out and easily crush with a heavy object and add back to broth. I usually end up with a large amount so a large batch goes in the fridge and lasts for a week at 1-2 mugs per day and the rest I make into flavored ice-cubes. Then bag and store for ready use! You can also use the cubes in cooking stews, soups or steaming meats!