Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changing way of thinking/FEAR... page

Loren is offline Junior Member

Changing way of thinking/FEAR...

Primal Fuel
    Hi...
    I have started this journey (this is day 5), and I am still at that point where my logic says, "this is the way to go!" but my stomach is in knots thinking I will just gain 15 pounds during the 30-day "trial" I am doing. Now, I know this is a lifestyle, not a quick-fix, and that years (43, to be exact) of unhealthy eating (even when I was doing the CW 'healthy diet') and ideas are not going to magically change overnight (or in just 30 days!) I just thought a 30-day challenge kind of thing would give me an idea if this is going to work or not. Surely by then I will see SOME kind of result in how my clothes fit??
    I guess what I need is just some hand-holding while I make this leap of faith. I have been seriously overweight my entire life; I did manage to lose 80 pounds in about a year on Weight Watchers, but I was starving most of the time and wearing myself out with 'chronic cardio'.
    I just want so much to believe it isn't hopeless.

Rasputina is offline Senior Member
    Good luck, Loren! I think it is unlikely you will gain that much weight, as long as you don't grossly overeat. If you make the main portion of your meals veggies, with a few ounces of protein and go easy on the added oils and fats, you will probably see encouraging results. Everyone is different, however, and if you have metabolic syndrome or some underlying medical condition, it may be difficult to slim down. Stick with it, and let us know how it goes. I wouldn't obsess about the teensy details, just yet!

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    You'll be fine, I very much doubt you'll put on any weight unless you go mad on the heavy lifting and sprinting, then you might pack on some lean mass.
    If every plate full is tons of veggies and meat and not much else you can't go far wrong, won't be starving thinking "oh I've got x points left today what can I have" and you will most likely lose plenty of fat. Good luck
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

UniqueTII is offline Senior Member
    If I were you, I wouldn't focus on weight for the first 30 days at all. I know it sounds tough, but trust me (and look at my weight loss in my signature), it'll happen when your body is ready. First things first, you need to heal yourself, and if you've been eating poorly for 40+ years that might take more than 30 days. Hang in there and this will be the greatest thing that has ever happened to your health.
    I wish I liked to eat liver.

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    shouldn't you be more afraid of staying fat and unhealthy and the myriad of health problems that will bring down the road?

this is not an excuse to eat barrels of berries and sides of beef at every meal. common sense for portions should still prevail. if you start out lower-carb you may have greater success in initial weight-loss, but that is entirely up to you. for many, just cutting out grains and sugars triggers weight loss.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

JBailey is offline Senior Member
    I had the same fear at first, then just went for it. I had a little carb flu at first, then I started feeling amazing!
    I've been eating this way since mid-May and haven't lost much weight, mostly due to some social non-primal weekends here & there. But the cool part is that I'm a lot stronger than previously and I'm eating great food, not starving between meals, and definitely not gaining weight.

I'm in it for the long haul, and would never go back to eating crap foods
    Seven Trees Farm - diversified subsistence farming on 1.25 acres.

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    I've only lost 14lbs in about 6 months. But for the first time that I can remember, I'm not starving all the time! The weight loss is going slow for me because I'm still breastfeeding and under quite a bit of stress. But I can really see the difference when I compare pictures and I can feel the difference in energy. I'm not tired all the time and can think more clearly.

Many people experience an initial large weight loss, I never did. But in 30 days you should at least feel some sort of difference, be it weight loss or energy level changes.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Good advice above. Just follow the basic advice, don't stress too much about it, don't gorge yourself. Get lots of sleep. Follow the links in my sig to the "simple version" of it all.
    Also I would highly recommend magnesium supplementation, and plenty of potassium-rich foods, at least initially. It's complicated but has to do with losing "water weight" aka bloat initally, which can lead to cramps and some other odd things happening at first.
    DON'T: obsess about your carb / fat ratios (you'll be eating more fat and less carbs, but the exact amounts don't really matter), don't dive into the whole "IF" or "Leptin Reset" things. DON'T Read This Forum Too Much!!! Get more sleep instead or go for long walks.
    Good luck.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Rasputina is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    Good advice above. Just follow the basic advice, don't stress too much about it, don't gorge yourself. Get lots of sleep. Follow the links in my sig to the "simple version" of it all.
    Also I would highly recommend magnesium supplementation, and plenty of potassium-rich foods, at least initially. It's complicated but has to do with losing "water weight" aka bloat initally, which can lead to cramps and some other odd things happening at first.
    DON'T: obsess about your carb / fat ratios (you'll be eating more fat and less carbs, but the exact amounts don't really matter), don't dive into the whole "IF" or "Leptin Reset" things. DON'T Read This Forum Too Much!!! Get more sleep instead or go for long walks.
    Good luck.
    DON'T READ THIS FORUM MUCH! This is absolutely the best advice ever, trust me. As a newbie, this will mess you up!!

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasputina View Post
    DON'T READ THIS FORUM MUCH! This is absolutely the best advice ever, trust me. As a newbie, this will mess you up!!
    NO!! spend hours and hours reading these boards, forfeiting sleep and exercise, while drinking buckets of iodine.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast