Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't stand liver, can't make myself page

Primal123 is offline Senior Member

Can't stand liver, can't make myself

Primal Fuel
    eat it and my husband told me not to cook it in the house. LOL. I want to eat it, I think it might be beneficial, I am always needing an iron supplement and b vitamins. But I can't stand the smell, idea, or taste of liver. I even tried making liver dumplings as it sounded like a good recipe. I could barely choke them down. The dog on the other hand loved them. I do like liverwurst (go figure). Does liverwurst count?

Baba is offline Member
    There's a progression: liverwurst > fancy liver paté > home-made chicken liver mousse > fried duck liver > calf's liver.

I personally have never gone beyond the last point, but the journey was fun. I live in Bavaria, where liver dumplings fit in somewhere between chicken liver mousse and fried duck liver. The dumplings are made with sausage meat, liver and soaked bread, so not very primal, but delicious!

Primal123 is offline Senior Member
    So it looks like I skipped a few steps. I'll try the progression. I think I could handle paté. I have never heard of chicken liver mousse. Instead of soaked bread I used coconut flour but no sausage. Sausage in there sounds pretty good. I'll try that next time I get up the courage.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Liverwurst might be okay, but check the ingredients on the label as you might be surprised at the chemicals and sweeteners that go into making it taste good. I'm guessing there's a decent brand out there.

If you don't like liver, have you tried other organ meats? While technically the heart is a muscle, I've read here on the forum that it's a good iron source.

Artbuc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Liverwurst might be okay, but check the ingredients on the label as you might be surprised at the chemicals and sweeteners that go into making it taste good. I'm guessing there's a decent brand out there.
    US Wellness ingredients look good and I have read many good reviews about its taste. Plan to order some myself this week.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    chicken liver pate is much easier to enjoy for most people than diving straight into beef liver.

soak the livers in several changes of water.

put in pot with salted chicken broth. (water is ok too.)

simmer until centers are just past pink.

drain.

whizz in food pro with butter, splash of brandy, dried thyme, salt and pepper. if i have them around i will add 1 or 2 prunes to this.

chill overnight.

that's my everyday pate recipe and it freezes quite well.

you can also add cream to this for something very silky and decadent.

don't know where you live, but we have a very vibrant snout-to-tail movement in restaurants here. if that's true in your area, go out and explore some charcuterie plates to see what's out there.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Paleobird Guest
    As noodletoy said, start with chicken liver, then work up to calf or lamb liver, then try beef.

My pate recipe is the same for all of them.

Take a bunch of liver
    Fry it in a bunch of butter
    Season it however you like while frying (I like garlic, basil, oregano, s&p, and a splash of sherry)
    (I sometimes add mushrooms as I cook but they are not necessary)
    turn off the heat and blend this all to smithereens with some cream (hand blender, vitamix, whatever)
    pour into little tupperware cups and fridge.

Makes a good portable hit of protein.

TorMag is offline Senior Member
    Here is my recipie for liver.

Take a good ribeye, grill it and enjoy..... Liver is gross.

Really, just because you are Primal and trying to live a good clean healthy life does not mean you need to eat stuff that you don't like. Be your own person.
    I Kettlebell therefore I am.

My Journal
    My Journal

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TorMag View Post

Really, just because you are Primal and trying to live a good clean healthy life does not mean you need to eat stuff that you don't like. Be your own person.
    Can't agree more. Just because something is deemed healthy doesn't mean you HAVE to eat it.

Quarry is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by TorMag View Post

This makes sense.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast