Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Monthly Challenges page 3

Jiigigaw is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TTBlue21 View Post
    I’ve been looking for a change in my routine so I’m all over this. I have never tried anything like this before. This is what I am going to try for the next 30 days.

10,000 Pushups
    1,000 Pullups
    150 Miles of Walking

Who’s in? Bueller....Bueller....
    Are you talking for the month of August, 1st till the 31st? Do they all need to be the same type of pushup/pullup? For example, do the first 100 in a day normal, and then drop to the knees for the next 200?

Regardless, it doesn't hurt to try... I'm in with one additional exercise, if you are game...

500 handstand pushups.

Oh, and to wrap up core exercises, toss some squats in... how many would you all think?

TTBlue21 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiigigaw View Post
    Oh, and to wrap up core exercises, toss some squats in... how many would you all think?
    I am assuming no weights with the squats?

Any pullup or pushup counts. The idea is to work all areas so when doing pushups (close grip, wide grip, diamond, knuckle, etc.) all count for 1. Same for pullups (wide, close, chin ups, etc).

Handstand pushups? I have never tried those before....

We could create a list and blast out a spreadsheet. Anyone partaking can just do the exercises they choose. We could start this August 1.

I've been working on handstand pushups for a while. I still don't quite have the core and balance to do one free standing, so I keep my toes on a wall to do them. I have a goal of being able to do 22 consecutive handstand pushups with no walls for balance. It is a long way off, but I try to knock out a few each day.

The goal, by the way, is completely arbitrary. I just find vague goals like "get in shape" to be unachievable. I need something that I can measure and monitor.

AS for the squats, yes... no weights. I was leaning towards 3-5 k for the month.

I sent over the spreadsheet to Richard (originator of the thread). Richard, what did you think? I figured you could pick and choose the exercises. The sheet was created with the following options and goals. You can adjust goals.

Pushups -10,000
    Pullups - 1,000
    Run/Walk - 150 miles
    Jump Rope - 60,000
    Handstand Pushups - 500
    Squats - 5,000

Richardmac is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TTBlue21 View Post
    I sent over the spreadsheet to Richard (originator of the thread). Richard, what did you think? I figured you could pick and choose the exercises. The sheet was created with the following options and goals. You can adjust goals.

Pushups -10,000
    Pullups - 1,000
    Run/Walk - 150 miles
    Jump Rope - 60,000
    Handstand Pushups - 500
    Squats - 5,000
    Hey, sorry for delay in reply.

It looks great. There does seem to be an imbalance perhaps with pushups and squats (given the size of the muscles being used, and the fact you should be able to do alot more squats than pushups). Thats not a bad thing maybe, just an observation. Giving yourself 2 days off a week. That is alot of pushup a day? Overtraining maybe?

The concept is great though. Personally I would have put swings in and dropped HSPU. I would have almost halfed everything except pullups. My target for an initial month would be closer to 4000 Pushups, 30,000 jump rope, 1000 Pullups. 4000 swings, 4000-5000 squats or lunges.

If I managed this (physically it would be ok, but given work, family etc), then I might repeat in month 2 with different exercises eg HSPU instead of Pushups, lunges instead of squats etc. Then in month 3 return to these movements and up the reps.

Food for thought.

Richard

Richardmac is offline Senior Member
    Is anyone following this (or something similar)?

How are you finding it?

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Richardmac View Post
    Is anyone following this (or something similar)?

How are you finding it?

Richard
    I don't have my current stats at work but my 30 day challenge:

Pushups: 10,000
    Pull-ups: 1,000
    Walk/Run: 150 Miles

My back, traps and rear deltoids are in a constant state of soreness. I stopped lifting back & chest but probably should have cut out legs, dead lifts, abs, bis, tris and shoulders as well.

Unless I really pick this up I will come up short. A positive is I can now complete sets of 75 pushups and 20 pull-ups. Never was I able to do that before.

Just completed my challenge.

7/23 - 8/21
    Goals:
    Pushups - 10,000
    Pullups - 1,000
    Walking/Running - 150 Miles

Results
    Pushups - 4914
    Pullups – 488
    Walking/Running – 120 Miles

So I came up very very very short. First challenge and it was pretty tough.

Points of Failure
    • Should have stopped lifting shoulders, bis, tris, back
    • Got behind early; really need to stay on top of this
    • Need to do pushups at random times (i.e morning, night, during leg workouts)

Positives
    I can rep out sets of 75 pushups, I walk a lot more, and my back and rear deltoids have noticeably changed.

I am doing a new 11 days challenge until 8/31 w/goals:
    Pushups - 3000
    Pullups - 400
    Situps - 1100
    Jump Rope - 5500
    Walk / Running – 50
    Burpees – 500
    Wall Balls - 500
    Last edited by TTBlue21; 08-22-2012 at 08:55 AM.

Well done mate, that is awesome even if you didn't hit the original target. Apologies for the silence on my part. I am going to give it a go though in September. One question. What do you mean by "Should have stopped lifting shoulders, bis, tris, back"?

Im thinking of doing pushups, burpees, chinups and walking.

Well done again. Always nice to see someone put their money where their mouth is!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast