Thread: New And Need some advice on my workout program page

Jreaton03 is offline Junior Member

New And Need some advice on my workout program

Primal Fuel
    To make a long story short I am 30 years old 6'3 and weigh 230. Im not sure what my body fat% is but I bet its high 20's low 30's. Im not in terrible shape as in i struggle up stairs, and im in good enough shape to play hockey twice a week. My question is whether or not I should start on a program like starting strength. If so will that help me lose body fat? Or should I do something like p90x first, then starting strength. I am kinda sloppy with my shirt off, Not very broad shoulders in fact I think my love handles are broader then my shoulders lol, and I also have a slight case of man boob. My lower body is pretty good due to years of Hockey. As far as strength goes, im not pathetic but im nowhere near being considered strong. My goals are to get lean and Put some decent size on especially in my shoulders, back, and chest.

Msilver is offline Member
    I would start out with the primal blueprint fitness essential moves first. This is what I did 3 months ago weighing 220 @ 5' 11" and I could only do one pullup. Now I weight 188 and can do 6 pullups. Also don't forget to sprint once a week too.

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jreaton03 View Post
    My question is whether or not I should start on a program like starting strength. If so will that help me lose body fat?
    According to Doug McGuff MD and John Little in Body by Science, strength training will benefit all parts of the body, then it's down to sport specific practice to hone skills required. That combined with primal eating should bring body fat down if it's too high now. I started on BBS training a couple of weeks ago and I noticed a performance improvement in only my second session. I also do HIT rowing a couple of times between the strength training workouts which I am keeping to a week apart. 20 minutes hard exercise a week plus walking (I would say in the sunshine but we've just had the wettest three months on record) to get the shopping is working well for me.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.