Thread: estimate on how long itd take to lose weight page

cariboo87 is offline Junior Member

estimate on how long itd take to lose weight

Primal Fuel
    I was doing great on paleo for a few months, did awesome, didnt track weight loss or anything but was doing good and feeling wonderful. I had a bunch of personal family problems arise and fell off the wagon and gained a bunch of weight in a short period of time. (I can gain fast).

My Question is, how much weight do you think a person could lose in 3 months if they went 100% paleo and had a very good exercise regiment? I am normally a sold 230-240. I went up to almost 290. I have alot of muscle but its now hidden under fat?

I have already started the paleo 100% and have started out with basic training and long walks but will step it up.

One main reason for doing this is because im applying to the Canadian armed forces in the spring and want to be back in shape!

otzi Guest
    Paleo isn't really the diet for fast weight loss. It's the diet for healthy living which results in fat loss. That said, If you are 50lbs overweight at 290, you should be able to lose it in 3 months with strict adherance to low carb and calorie counting. If you are using Primal Blueprint to yo-yo diet, you are missing out on a great way of life which will prevent you from getting fat again.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    You could lose plenty of weight, but your question illustrates you don't really get the whole picture here. The Dukhan diet is the crash diet of the decade, you should check that out if all you're looking for is a quick fix.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    You could lose plenty of weight, but your question illustrates you don't really get the whole picture here. The Dukhan diet is the crash diet of the decade, you should check that out if all you're looking for is a quick fix.
    ok, as I said I have done paleo before and felt awesome. I never once said im doing it just for weight loss, I was just curious what a person could lose in the time frame I gave with the plan.

I have the books and such and am doing it for more then one reason, didnt realize I had to get so into it for everyone

It comes down to how much you're eating and what kind of deficit you're making. 10% primal 40% primal or 110% primal you can lose or even gain fat on any of them.
    A small to moderate deficit with whole foods and exercise should have you losing between 1 and 2 pounds a week. That's generally a realistic goal.
    Last edited by Forgotmylastusername; 07-22-2012 at 06:20 AM.

CaveWeirdo is offline Senior Member
    Primal eating is versatile and can be used for losing, gaining or maintaining weight healthily. I don't know why other posters are acting like it's not effective as a fat loss zerg, because it can be if you want it to be. Go very low carb and do some intermittent fasting too and you'll lose plenty! There are fad diets out there that would claim to make you lose ridiculous amounts but they are not sustainable for more than a few weeks and can damage your health and exercise endurance. Strict primal is really the best way to lose fast without starving yourself of essential nutrients.

I am pretty strict and low carb, and I have steadily been losing an average of 1 or 2 pounds per week. A male can usually lose a bit faster than that.

Good luck!
    Start weight: 238 lbs (March 2012)
    Current weight: 205 lbs (July 2012)
    Loss so far: 33 lbs!!!
    WOE: Primal + IF
    Movements: Hiking, sprinting.
    Goal: to see my abs some time in 2013!

Metric is offline Senior Member
    I've been doing Primal (not Paleo - still have loads of full-fat dairy). I'm low carb, but not crazy low. Still eat berries and sweet potatoes. Just started including body weight exercises this month. I'm on Day 82 - and I've lost (I don't remember at the moment - so see info in my signature...) If you are strict paleo with exercise, you should be able to lose quite a bit. Just try to walk as much as possible when you want to go places. I walk to work and back home 4 days a week. This is a guaranteed 34km walking per week, then I generally walk on my 4 days off too. Try to keep your stress level low and get your sleep and rest in. I work shift-work which is known for being hard on the body. I also do IF daily, which I find has been a big help. Also keep a food log (find it super useful to look back at). Link for mine is below.

Based on your username.... my guess is Northern BC/AB?? Am I close? =P

awesome thanks for the info. My meals have pretty much been salad with either beef or pork. I have maybe 1 piece of fruit a day and have been exercising. I figure that would considered low carb as theirs non in the salad or meat.

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cariboo87 View Post
    awesome thanks for the info. My meals have pretty much been salad with either beef or pork. I have maybe 1 piece of fruit a day and have been exercising. I figure that would considered low carb as theirs non in the salad or meat.
    all vegetables and fruits have carbs. yes, lettuce is nearly negligible, but still not zero. make sure you are getting enough fat along with your protein. you need some to burn fat if you are eating vlc.

big active guys can lose weight pretty quickly on low-carb, healthy protein/fats. good luck.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    all vegetables and fruits have carbs. yes, lettuce is nearly negligible, but still not zero. make sure you are getting enough fat along with your protein. you need some to burn fat if you are eating vlc.

big active guys can lose weight pretty quickly on low-carb, healthy protein/fats. good luck.
    awesome thank you, I did well last time when I went paleo, but didn't really keep track but definitely lost weight and felt better then ever and really miss feeling that way.

Can anyone recommend something to snack on other then lettuce or meat? Is there anything low carb?
    I have even limited my fat intake and such, like cutting fat off my meat, Ill leave it on now as you made a good point.

I have been fasting well to, I don't eat after 8-9pm and don't eat my first meal until around 2pm as thats when im actually starting to get hungry