Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to eat for an increase in bone density. page

Gavin is offline Member

What to eat for an increase in bone density.

Hey guys.

I have only one problem since going primal, my wrists are tiny for a 17 year old guy of my size. I eat a lot of protein, plenty of fats and carbs, and don't really miss out on many micro nutrients. I was wondering what I could eat in order to increase my bone density. Dairy (other than butter) is out of question b/c it ruins my intestines. I won't do a calcium supplement ( can't swallow pills) and don't know what else to try. I'm also posting this on exercise so if you have any advice on that, head on over there.

Thanks.

Moochy is offline Senior Member
    Lift heavy things
    Primal/Paleo is not for everyone, it's for those who have committed to understand.
    READ THE BOOK! ...as Robb Wolf says: "Trying to convince people to save their own ass will burn you out."

Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, and an affront to all I stand for -- the pure enjoyment of food. Anthony Bourdain

and yes, calories DO count my little piggies

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Start some more threads about it.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    bone broth.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Density and circumference are two different things~ if your bones are 'tiny', maybe it's a heritage/genetics thing~

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moochy View Post
    Lift heavy things
    THIS!....research even in osteoporosis shows that the MOST important thing in reversing the disease is weight bearing exercise. So just do it. Nutrition matters much less in this particular case.....but at 17yo male you're probably just small boned. Deal with it

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    bone broth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moochy View Post
    Lift heavy things
    Both of those things, but dude, seriously give it some time. You're just 17, still growing. I was skinny as a youth, & later on due to wrestling & tree climbing etc etc, I was lean through all of high school & college. I couldn't gain/keep much muscle til I hit my late 20s/early 30s.

Besides, imo speed, flexibility & endurance are more important than bulk. Think lean & mean...
    Last edited by Betorq; 07-21-2012 at 08:17 PM.
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Gavin is offline Member
    Here's the thing though, it's only in my wrists (Radius and ulna). All other bones are fine, healthy, and strong. Only my radius hurts when I try to lift a semi-heavy item with just one arm. It only hurts about 2 inches from the wrist, on both arms.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    is it possible you have some sort of repetitive stress injury?
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Gavin is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Possibly, but I don't know what could cause it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast