Thread: How to exercise for an increase in bone density. page

Gavin is offline Member

How to exercise for an increase in bone density.

Shop Now
    Hey guys.

I have only one problem since going primal, my wrists are tiny for a 17 year old guy of my size. I eat a lot of protein, plenty of fats and carbs, and don't really miss out on many micro nutrients. I exercise about 2-3 times a week with body weights and walk plenty. I'm doing some serious running for the next few weeks, but after that, it's back to body weights. Are there any specific exercises I can do to increase bone density in my wrists and forearms? I'm also posting this on nutrition so any info for that would help as well.

Thanks.

EvRevFit is offline Senior Member
    You can't really do anything to make your wrists bigger. Are they actually weak, or just small? Have you broken your radius or ulna? To answer the main question, you increase bone density when you do any kind of resistance exercise. In order to stimulate bone growth you need to apply 10% of the forces required to break the bone, which is actually usually a relatively low amount of resistance. So, basically, lift heavy and you will increase your bone density. But just having small wrists doesn't necessarily mean you need to do so, unless they're actually prone to injury.
    Josh Vernier, CPT

My Journal

Evolution Revolution Fitness

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me."

-Ayn Rand

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Density is how heavy something is in relation to its size. Increasing bone density is not the same as increasing your bone structure size.

That being said, start lifting heavy things. Starting Strength or Stronglifts would both be great. Eat a lot.

I'm pretty average-sized in height and build, and my wrists are pretty thin. My forearms are getting bigger, but there's not much in your wrists but bone and tendons, and those take a loooooong time to get bigger.

However, people don't notice wrists when they look at you. If you really want to appear strong, build forearms and your neck (the two things that people can see with clothes on, and also some of the last things to get big). If you want to be strong, follow one of the programs I mentioned and eat a lot. You'll get the muscle.

EvRevFit is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jfreaksho View Post
    Density is how heavy something is in relation to its size. Increasing bone density is not the same as increasing your bone structure size.

That being said, start lifting heavy things. Starting Strength or Stronglifts would both be great. Eat a lot.

I'm pretty average-sized in height and build, and my wrists are pretty thin. My forearms are getting bigger, but there's not much in your wrists but bone and tendons, and those take a loooooong time to get bigger.

However, people don't notice wrists when they look at you. If you really want to appear strong, build forearms and your neck (the two things that people can see with clothes on, and also some of the last things to get big). If you want to be strong, follow one of the programs I mentioned and eat a lot. You'll get the muscle.
    +1
    Josh Vernier, CPT

My Journal

Evolution Revolution Fitness

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me."

-Ayn Rand