Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any primal "country" people or "hicks" out there? page

Dedaw is offline Member

Any primal "country" people or "hicks" out there?

I'm a hick, and desperately want to go Primal. Part of the problem is disciplining myself and turning away from being a hick, and the other part is getting my family on board (since I eat what they give me). However, I was wondering if there are any country people on here who have gone primal and have any tips. I'm a camo and carhartt, tobacco spittin', boot wearing redneck; and want to know how people made the change to the barefoot movement, and everything else. My current career choice that I'm in school for, welding, it is 100% mandatory you wear boots and most even require steel toes. Is the switch to barefoot that big of a necessity? Along with that, any tips for switching and convincing my family to switch are much appreciated.

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    I don't have any tips for you, but I don't see any reason why you can't be primal and a hick all at the same time. Does one have to spit tobacco to be a hick, or can you still be a hick if you don't. And I'll bet that you can still be a hick if you wear steel-toed boots to work and go barefoot at home.
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

DashFire is offline Senior Member
    Hi Dedaw and welcome. While not a hick/redneck myself, I'm definitely a little bit country (Grew up in rural Kentucky) and known a lot of hicks/rednecks over the years (family, friends, neighbors, etc). Seriously... " I'm a camo and carhartt, tobacco spittin', boot wearing redneck;" describes 75% of the people I grew up with and see when I visit my parent's farm.

I'm not sure I get your question entirely and part of me wonders if you're being fully serious or just kidding a bit. But regardless, I'll answer as best I can... The Barefoot thing is in no way necessary. It's a preference for some people that find it actually improved their foot health. I live in Chicago, but still try and go barefoot when able (at home, the park, beach, etc). But it's not mandatory for anything or to be "primal". But rather a personal preference that often comes highly recommended by many.

For most primal starts with food and movement... transitioning to real food and using/working our bodies in a way that creates optimal functional health (which the barefoot aspect is just one component of).

What is your food like? Activity? Are you endeavoring to transition to more primal eating? etc.
    My Primal Journal - Food, pics, the occasional rant, so...the usual.

I love cooking. It's sexy science that you stuff in your face. - carlh

Dedaw is offline Member
    Haha yes, it was serious. I've seen tons and tons and tons of posts on here about being barefoot, so I was wondering how important that was. My goal is to move to a primal eating/training regimen.

Dedaw is offline Member
    The more and more I think about it, the hardest part is going to be quitting chew, even though that's the most important one. Going barefoot will be a much easier transition.

ElaineC is offline Senior Member
    I'd think being a hick and a redneck would almost be an advantage - no one's going to question chowing down on a big hunk of fire cooked meat, mmmmmmm.....
    Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

Big Fat Fiasco

Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dedaw View Post
    Haha yes, it was serious. I've seen tons and tons and tons of posts on here about being barefoot, so I was wondering how important that was. My goal is to move to a primal eating/training regimen.
    Country girl here!
    The very first thing I do when I come in the house is kick my shoes off. I am so much more comfortable going barefoot and I am really good at opening doors with my feet.
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Bron is offline Senior Member
    I'm a country girl (definitely not a hick though ) and grateful for it. Living in a food bowl means I can source all the food I need, without worrying about where to find eggs, raw milk, grass raised meat etc. I also wear steelcaps at work I'm barefoot right now though.

Orannhawk is offline Senior Member
    Camo wearing country here too ... and I have to say, I love my boots ... every single pair of them, from my camo huntin boots to my camo Fat Baby's to a full array of colors and styles. My last steel toe pair wore out some time ago though. Have to say ... I don't do the spitting. Heeheee
    Everything's shiny, Cap'n. Not to fret.

Figlio di Moros is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yep, redneck here, too. If you're dependent on your parents to feed you, it's gonna be an issue- you should really think to invest in your own food. Part of the problem around here is sourcing good food; a lot of food comes from grocery chains. You should already know some folks aorund you can buy fresh veggies from, though meat might be a bit harder. I know two local butchers, one that raise their own grass-fed cattle, and the other one... that you can buy meat from. Either way, the bigger problem is finding good offal, marrow, and other off-beat products. Somehow harder here than in bigger towns. Start off with more fish(sardines/herring/tuna) and look around for local butchers where you can.

Another thing to keep in mind is hunting- I know a few hunters who don't eat venison, and some who give away extra. If you hunt already, hunt more. Stock up on venison, turkey, or whatever local game you have access to; game is 100% primal. Make sure to get the parts most folk you're hunting with will throw away, like the innerds, hooves, and bone; not only does it up your overall stock of wild meat, but adds variety and each organ comes with unique list of nutrients you're missing out on in skeletal muscle. Besides, what's more redneck than eating fresh deer-heart right out in the field?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast