Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any primal "country" people or "hicks" out there? page 2

wiltondeportes Guest
    Primal Fuel
    "Camo, Carhartt, and Copenhagen" is country just like Abercrombie, Nike, and Macy's are city. I was raised in the country but don't identify with anything.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    The barefoot thing gets a lot of press because it bucks most folks' upbringing in this society. Growing up, my parents were cool with bare feet in general so I just never outgrew it (or got told otherwise) and now can't imagine having shoes and socks on more than necessary. But I know lots of folks for whom taking shoes off anytime before bedtime would be heretical or sacrilegious.

Dude, I don't think you really WANT to go welding without shoes, now do you?? I think that is a situation for which you should be grateful to HAVE shoes. So don't sweat the work thing. Just start to kick off the shoes off-duty. Since you asked for all our opinions, here is mine: going barefoot is good for you, so start doing it.

Just try not to be so hick that you neglect to trim the toenails... that will go a long way toward barefoot acceptance (as will washed feet after a long shift).

You can keep most of the country boy and still be Primal. But, yeah - the chaw has to go...

Dedaw is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wiltondeportes View Post
    "Camo, Carhartt, and Copenhagen" is country just like Abercrombie, Nike, and Macy's are city. I was raised in the country but don't identify with anything.
    Completely hit the nail on the head here, and I thank you for posting that. The more I think about it, the more correct you are. I've come to identify with being "country" and everything that comes with it, instead of being myself. I have to chew, have a big truck, wear boots, chew, etc. etc. to be country, when in reality I don't. /diary

KV8R is offline Senior Member
    My wife's a country girl, and she's not primal at all, but she goes barefoot as often as I do. It's not hard to do. Plenty of barefoot type shoes out there now.

LJH
    LJH is offline Senior Member
    I guess I'm a hick. I live very rural, get most of my food from local sources and hate being anywhere near a city. Come to think, I hate being anywhere near a small town too, just want hang here with my critters and the wilderness. Maybe hermit/hick would be more accurate.

I eat strictly Primal, get tons & TONS of exercise - hell, just about everything that needs lifing around here is a heavy thing. But I freakin' hate being barefoot. Always have. Sue me.

Figlio di Moros is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, LJH, I'm with you on that. I've tried it, but it's just such a strong habit I rarely kick the shoes off outside of home. Of course, if anything, Primal's better suited to rednecks, so long as you can get the harder-to-find meats and vegetables. Going barefoot, eating kidney- really think anyone's gonna question your hick-tude on those?

Kaylee99 is offline Senior Member
    Grew up a hick. I now live in the suburbs and I'm eating the way I grew up (lots of meat, fats, and veggies; little sugars and those mostly in fruit or preserved fruit). So....I'm a little confused on how being a hick would make for a difficult transition to primal.

"I have to chew, have a big truck, wear boots, chew, etc. etc. to be country, when in reality I don't."

You do NOT have to chew, drive a big truck or wear boots to be 'country'. What type of 'country' are you trying to be? Sounds more like someone wearing their hat backwards with droppy jeans and flashing gang signs to be 'gangsta'.

Most of the people I grew up with (real cowboys and country people, not wanna-bees) did not chew, wore boots to protect their feet and because they were around 1000+ pound critters and in the saddle a lot, drove a truck to haul said critters and their feed around- not because they needed those things to be 'country'.
    See what I'm up to: The Primal Gardener

Warmbear is offline Senior Member
    Dude, being a redneck you should have access to farms, good food etc. Plant a garden and grow yer own as you can, when you move out, raise chickens on your land. I would if I could sure as hell, but I live in the middle of a huge city. I hate it but no choice.
    Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

TCates190 is offline Senior Member
    I'm primal, and pretty dang country. I think they actually go together pretty well, what do rednecks love doing more than hunting and fishing? I still wear boots, but I wear new balance minimus to workout. The only time I see that it's tough is sitting around a fire with friends and not drinking a beer, or turning down the biscuits and gravy your grandma made. People sometimes will think you're "stuck up" or something because you don't eat the same foods as them.

Figlio di Moros is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Warmbear View Post
    Dude, being a redneck you should have access to farms, good food etc. Plant a garden and grow yer own as you can, when you move out, raise chickens on your land. I would if I could sure as hell, but I live in the middle of a huge city. I hate it but no choice.
    Somewhat, but not everyone in the country works on a farm, and a lot of primal meats and veggies don't make it to the market out here because of the smaller clientele base. It still takes a little while to find variety you want when you're not used to it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast