Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Was reading Taubs' "Why we get fat" this morning and found this page

Moochy is offline Senior Member

Was reading Taubs' "Why we get fat" this morning and found this

A low carb doctor a decade ahead of Atkins charged with a crime for promoting a low carb diet, lol!!!!

Herman Taller

In 1961, Dr. Herman Taller, an obstetrician, published ''Calories Don't Count,'' which preached that one could banish fat while eating three full meals a day - provided that one ingested three ounces of polyunsaturated vegetable oil daily, along with a high-protein and low-carbohydrate diet. The Government denounced that diet as a ''worthless scheme foisted on a gullible public,'' and Dr. Taller was eventually convicted of fraud and conspiracy for using the book to peddle a particular brand of safflower capsules. Meanwhile, the book sold 2 million copies.

Calories Don't Count

I am wondering when Mark will be led off in chains for the horrendous sales he has promoted? Seriously, what a world!?!

(Of course conventional doctors were happy Taller was arrested and convicted)
    Last edited by Moochy; 07-21-2012 at 11:42 AM.
    Primal/Paleo is not for everyone, it's for those who have committed to understand.
    READ THE BOOK! ...as Robb Wolf says: "Trying to convince people to save their own ass will burn you out."

Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, and an affront to all I stand for -- the pure enjoyment of food. Anthony Bourdain

and yes, calories DO count my little piggies

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Perhaps because calories do count?
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    I'm glad he was arrested and convicted too. Sounds like a total shyster.

Quarry is offline Senior Member
    Vegetable and corn oil....ewww.

Artichoke is offline Senior Member
    Within a few years of the publication of that book was Dr Carlton Fredericks' book on low carb dieting which also sold millions. I have a copy somewhere which I picked up in a charity shop (surprising as it's the US edition). I haven't used it because the recipes use artificial sweeteners, stuff like that.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Well, first of all Taubes is wrong and everyone from Robb Wolf to Stephan Guyenet has written detailed and insightful articles about it. Low carbing is useful for weight loss for many people but insulin is not the bad guy and the picture is a lot more complex than Taubes is willing to admit. Calories matter, so does diet quality. The details of why this guy was sued for fraud are beyond us, we don't really have the whole story and it was a long time ago so why get upset?
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    Low carbing is useful for weight loss for many people but insulin is not the bad guy and the picture is a lot more complex than Taubes is willing to admit. Calories matter, so does diet quality.
    I have to say, figuring that out was a huge wakeup call for me. While I still probably go lower than the average SAD guy on the street, when I go too low I'm a shrew and more prone to binging. If I focus on better quality food, making sure I get enough good fat and not worrying about the amount of (quality) carbs at all, that's when I'm at my best.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Vanbiesbrouck is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    Perhaps because calories do count?
    "Calories don't count calories, People count calories."

brahnamin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moochy View Post
    I am wondering when Mark will be led off in chains for the horrendous sales he has promoted?
    Meh. Mark will just use his chains as a piece of impromptu workout equipment.

lambchop is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    Well, first of all Taubes is wrong and everyone from Robb Wolf to Stephan Guyenet has written detailed and insightful articles about it. Low carbing is useful for weight loss for many people but insulin is not the bad guy and the picture is a lot more complex than Taubes is willing to admit. Calories matter, so does diet quality. The details of why this guy was sued for fraud are beyond us, we don't really have the whole story and it was a long time ago so why get upset?
    Oh no, I was working on the assumpton Taubes got it right and insulin control was key and low carb is why Dhukan diet is so successful. I am so confused...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast