Thread: Question on not getting too thin and building muscle page

BoldRuler is offline Junior Member

Question on not getting too thin and building muscle

Primal Fuel
    Hi All,
    Been on paleo for 3 weeks, lost 8 lbs and am essentially at my supposed ideal BMI. I'm currently 6'3 175. My concern is I don't want to get too thin as I'm tall and lanky as it is. Granted I've been dropping flab and look much better right now. I've been following the 4 days of walking, 2 days of LHT and 1 day of sprints. Prior to this, sorry to say I had little to no muscle mass so this sort of exersize is new too me. I was 'skinny fat' and now that I'm dropping the fat, should I alter the paleo fitness blueprint to focus more on muscle building? I know I'm new, hope this isn't a lame newb question, and appreciate any and all feedback.
    Thanks!

booksbikesbeer is offline Junior Member
    Nice work on changing your body composition. It sounds like you are off to a great start.

Like you, I'm pretty lanky, too (6'1", 160) and have been that way for most of my life. I'm 31 now, and only recently have I started working to bulk up a little. Last spring I put on 10 pounds to reach 160, and sometime this fall I might try to bulk up a little more to reach 170.

The paleo diet should allow you to get adequate protein to build lean mass. If I were you I would consider adding a 3rd or 4th LHT day to each week while you are trying to build up your lean mass. You don't have to do that all the time. Once you've got the mass, it is easy to keep it. I found that out when I broke my hand in the late spring. I only lost a couple pounds despite not being able to lift heavy things.

When you are making a push for some gains, you might also want to dial up your food around your workouts. Make sure you get extra protein in your system before and after workouts and maybe add some excellent carbs like a sweet potato to your post workout snack.

Some of my all time favorite articles on exercise are from Dan John. He helped me with building some muscle by pointing out I should focus really hard on that for short periods of time. For a while I fell into the trap of always trying to eat enough and gain a pound or two. That is hard psychologically. I love his idea of taking a 4 to 6 week period, hitting the gym extra hard and eating more. Then see what you got and go back to cruise control.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    You should look to a good strength training program and eat more healthy protein. Some good ones are Power To The People, You Are Your Own Gym, Starting Strength, Dan John's 40 Day, etc. - pick one and stick to it like glue, and eat more food as your appetite increases (it will). Good luck!
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Being completely new I think you should stick to the PB routine till at the very least you can perform 2 rounds of LHT without rest and doing the "regular essential" level 4 (i think) exercises without modification to make them easier for the prescribed reps. Once you can get that you likely have a good enough base to experiment with some other programs if you wish, or move on to the advanced moves.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Being completely new I think you should stick to the PB routine till at the very least you can perform 2 rounds of LHT without rest and doing the "regular essential" level 4 (i think) exercises without modification to make them easier for the prescribed reps. Once you can get that you likely have a good enough base to experiment with some other programs if you wish, or move on to the advanced moves.
    I guess part of my concern is so far Im losing fat, but in three weeks I'm not see a noticeable difference in muscle mass. I'm not unrealistic, I'm naturally tall and thin, I know I'm not going to be huge and don't want that. But I'm concerened I might drop another 10 lbs., be 6'3" 165 or something and just be too skinny.

Richardmac is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoldRuler View Post
    I guess part of my concern is so far Im losing fat, but in three weeks I'm not see a noticeable difference in muscle mass. I'm not unrealistic, I'm naturally tall and thin, I know I'm not going to be huge and don't want that. But I'm concerened I might drop another 10 lbs., be 6'3" 165 or something and just be too skinny.
    Don't over think it too much my fried. I was 6'1 and 11 stone once. I got myself up to 15 stone (about 210lbs) and 8%bf by progressively eating more. Ji

Jim wendler said once that it almost doesnt matter what prgram you use, even the ones from mens health will work if your consistent and are eating right.

That being said, heres what im using:

Navy SEAL Workouts

Subbed out the running and swimming for bike work.

It begins well and progresses nicely.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by BoldRuler View Post
    To think you'll increase your muscle mass noticable in three weeks is the definition of "unrealistic", sorry. Getting big muscles is really, really hard work especially if you're a tall, lanky dude. If you want to stop losing weight, eat more food. If you want to build muscle mass, work out heavy and hard and eat more food.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    To think you'll increase your muscle mass noticable in three weeks is the definition of "unrealistic", sorry. Getting big muscles is really, really hard work especially if you're a tall, lanky dude. If you want to stop losing weight, eat more food. If you want to build muscle mass, work out heavy and hard and eat more food.
    So I guess my plan should be to try and drop the remaining lbs that are the flab on my stomach and then shift much more heavilly into LHT with much more protein and calories. Again, I really appreciate the advice.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    No, you should go straight into the LHT now. Zero reason not to. Hit it hard, man. Then when your gains stop coming, gradually increase the food you eat. A sudden massive increase in calories at the end of a "diet" period = re-gain of fat you've lost. Get to the weight room.