Thread: Paleo success and the importance of exercise page

canuck416 is online now Senior Member

Paleo success and the importance of exercise

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    My early weight loss success was mostly accomplished by embracing the Paleo diet and I saw significant initial improvement by changing my diet alone with little focus on exercise, calories or macro nutrient content. As I began to reach plateau points I began to track caloric and carbohydrate consumption out of interest and started using exercise to ensure I was maintaining a daily net calorie balance that resulted in weight and fat loss.

After experimenting with training over the past 4 months I have refined my approach and settled on a 80-10-10 plan.

80% of my training is at low heart rate - (slow running and walking/hiking) - 3 to 5 hours per week..

10% Interval training - (all out effort sprinting at the track or hill repeats) - 1 to 2 X per week

10% Heavy Lifting of Circuit training - (push maximum effort) - 1 to 2 X per week

It is true that you can't out exercise a poor diet, but I believe that exercise can play a critical role when you reach those sticking points in your weight loss journey. It would be interesting to hear from others regarding your views on the importance of exercise in your Paleo/Primal experience.
    Last edited by canuck416; 07-21-2012 at 10:03 AM.

Metric is offline Senior Member
    Looks good to me. Last statement is very true!

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck416 View Post
    My early weight loss success was mostly accomplished by embracing the Paleo diet and I saw significant initial improvement by changing my diet alone with little focus on exercise, calories or macro nutrient content. As I began to reach plateau points I began to track caloric and carbohydrate consumption out of interest and started using exercise to ensure I was maintaining a daily net calorie balance that resulted in weight and fat loss.

It is true that you can't out exercise a poor diet, but I believe that exercise can play a critical role when you reach those sticking points in your weight loss journey. It would be interesting to hear from others regarding your views on the importance of exercise in your Paleo/Primal experience.
    Very well put. It comes off easier at the beginning because there is a lot to lose. As you approach your goal, however, you have to be more careful of both tracking and including exercise in the mix.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I think exercise is fun, so that makes life easy/good.

primal/paleo is great because you have: great food, great fun (exercise), and great sleep. Add good company and that's the recipe for a great life.

canuck416 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post

primal/paleo is great because you have: great food, great fun (exercise), and great sleep. Add good company and that's the recipe for a great life.
    Agreed! You have a great attitude!

Metric is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post

Quote Originally Posted by canuck416 View Post
    Agreed! You have a great attitude!
    +1