Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whole30... overkill? page

dogfuel is offline Member

Whole30... overkill?

Primal Fuel
    Is the Whole30 plan really beneficial or is it overly strict just for the sake of being strict?

Over the last year, I have enjoyed a pretty primal lifestyle and diet and have dropped 80 lbs while adding a bunch of muscle (thanks also to crossfit and too much exercise, too much per MDA guidelines).

I still have around 8-10 lbs of stubborn belly fat to go - Body Fat Percentage went from 31 to 17 or so, with the last 3-4% that I want to ditch all abdominal. This last bit is going, but slowly, sometimes very slowly.

I have no problem staying almost entirely off legumes and grains (esp wheat) and avoiding sugar, but moderately enjoy dairy (butter, cream and cheese). Additionally, I'll have 0-15 beers per week, a bottle or two of red wine and, occasionally, Tequila. The quality of meat I eat could be better (I eat plenty of sausage, ham and conventional beef), but I go grass-fed where the option is available.

The reason for my initial question... It is not a matter of will-power or discipline (while I don't relish the idea of ditching dairy, booze or convenient store-bought beef jerky, I could) I travel a bit for work and don't want to sacrifice needlessly. I don't really need to prove or test anything and think it'd be (a little) destructive and pointless to do a Whole30 month just as a game.

That being said, I'll start tomorrow if convinced the change from my current diet will SIGNIFICANTLY speed up a LASTING change in body composition.

Thanks!
    46, male, 5'11', 190lbs - BMI says I'm obese, but Body Fat % and blood chemistry and especially the way I look and feel make me think not.
    Last edited by dogfuel; 07-21-2012 at 01:13 PM.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    eh, lasting change...i wouldn't bet on it. i see the whole30 as a reset button more than anything. it's also great for discovering any food allergies or insensitivity you might have, but i think you can do that without going as strict as they would have you.

you're clearly doing awesome by just staying primal, so keep doing that.

dogfuel is offline Member
    thanks primalrob - your explanation makes perfect sense (and means I can have a little wine on my birthday next month).

I'm not looking to reset anything and am apparently insensitive (only one ex-relationship ver accused me of this). I am definitely interested only in lasting change - it looks like a little more sweat and work (no shortcuts )

PrimallyJenna is offline Member
    The whole30 really depends on what you're trying to get out of it. I did a whole30 and discovered a previously unknown allergy to cucumbers and I was able to end a recurring stomach pain for which I couldn't discern a cause. If you're comfortable with your current diet and digestion then don't worry about committing to the additional strictness. It sounds like what you're doing is working for you, so stick with it and enjoy.
    Last edited by PrimallyJenna; 07-21-2012 at 01:39 PM. Reason: grammar

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I'm with Primalrob. I think it might work pretty good as a reset, but it's not for everyone.

I tried it and lasted about a week and a half before blowing it with a massive binge on candy and donuts and turning into a raging bitch (I have witnesses). For me, it was just too restrictive, at least for this particular time in my life, though I have heard a lot of people do very well with it, so I'm not willing to write it off at this point.

If what you're doing is working, maybe just not as quickly as you want, I guess you could give it a try. The only real difference I see is ditching dairy, a few remaining grains (like white rice) and all alcohol. It might help find a dairy issue, or it might just annoy you.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Based on the largely positive feedback I've seen it seems to be very beneficial.

TLoRu is offline Senior Member
    Finished a whole30 in June, but continuing it to a whole60. It wasn't a huge transition for me, but dropping the booze (I like to party) and ditching the occasional dairy have done a lot. I wasn't looking to loose weight, but wanted to see how dairy affected me. I notice a lot less stuffy-ness in my face. I also found I have ridiculous energy in the gym and on the soccer field (just got back from a tournament today, played 6 games full field, scored 12 goals).

It's really different for everyone and if you're doing well primally, I say stick w what works!! Melissa and Dallas hartwig's book, It Starts w Food is amazing! They also have a great blog. It is super strict, but as people have already said its used commonly as a reset and to decipher allergies and intolerances. Good Luck!

earthspirit is offline Senior Member
    Ritarose,
    You summed up my experience with Whole30 almost to a T.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by earthspirit View Post
    Ritarose,
    You summed up my experience with Whole30 almost to a T.
    It was not pretty. And a little scary.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I like it as a tabula rasa sort of thing, especially after being sick like I was last month, and especially since we're going to be TTC (again) in August-ish.

Also, I'm on Day 7 of my third (non-consecutive) Whole30, and it's totally highlighting all the little "cheats" I've been sneaking in over the last six months since the last one.

No sugar is honestly the hardest part for me. I like honey in my coffee. I like sweet barbeque. I like maple syrup on my pancakes, paleo or otherwise. I like sweets, period. And I know if I stay off the sweets for 30 days, I'll train my body again to not crave these things.

As someone who likes "rules" and challenges and sticking to them, I find the Whole30 useful for that. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who doesn't thrive on that sort of thing; I expect it would be disastrous. But sometimes, y'know, you gotta challenge yourself and see what happens.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast