Thread: pesto recipe? page

Angieh is offline Senior Member

pesto recipe?

Primal Fuel
    I really want to make this tonight for a cookout I'm having --- does anyone have the recipe? I've made pesto before, but this looks like it has mayo added.

I am definitely planning to buy the Paleo Comfort Foods cookbook but haven't yet... hoping somewhere here has it, or I'll wing it.

Thanks!

Pesto is first pic on their page. http://www.facebook.com/paleocomfortfoods

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    classic pesto is basil, pine nuts, olive oil, garlic and grated parmesan cheese. it doesn't contain mayo of any sort.

Fresh Basil Pesto Recipe | Simply Recipes

i've stopped adding garlic to it because the raw taste is simply too harsh for me and usually use either almonds or pistachios for the nuts. some grated lemon zest is super nice in there too.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Pecorino is an excellent alternative to parmesan if you're intolerant to cow's dairy but OK with goat's dairy.

Fresh coriander works very well as an alternative to basil, lending a more middle-eastern flavour.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Angieh is offline Senior Member
    Thanks to both! I know how to make traditional pesto and vary what kind of nuts I use, depending on what I have... just thought that particular pesto/mayo recipe looked extra good. Have no time to make homemade mayo today but may add a spoonful of mayo to my normal pesto recipe. Thanks.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    Pecorino is an excellent alternative to parmesan if you're intolerant to cow's dairy but OK with goat's dairy.
    pecorino is sheep's milk cheese, not goat.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Chaohinon is offline Senior Member
    basil pesto: 2oz walnuts, 1.5oz basil, 4oz spinach, 1oz lemon juice, 1tsp salt, .5tsp pepper, 2oz raw garlic, 1/4cup parmesan, 1 cup olive oil

red pepper pesto: 2oz almonds, 2oz raw garlic, 1tsp salt, .5tsp pepper, 2oz garlic, 8oz roasted red peppers (drained), 1/4 cup parmesan, 1/2 cup olive oil

just make sure you puree the nuts thoroughly before adding wet ingredients. nut butters work just fine too, I see no need to spend ridiculous amounts of money on pine nuts.
    Last edited by Chaohinon; 07-22-2012 at 10:52 AM.
    “The whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

kmodell is offline Member
    The recipe you looked at in the Paleo Comfort Foods cookbook used mayo in the name of the recipe as though you could use the pesto like mayo. It does not call for it. Basic pesto is simply: basil, evoo, pine nuts and garlic processed to a smooth sauce.

Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    pecorino is sheep's milk cheese, not goat.
    Oops. I meant to say sheep's as I know that Pecorino means 'little sheep'. Goat's/sheep's cheese are fine for most people who are intolerant to cow's casein.

As an added bonus, Pecorino has a more subtle, sweeter, less bacterial taste than Parmesan.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Basil pesto: cleaned basil leaves with some stemmage, soft goat cheese, evoo(no set amount, eye ball it),black pepper(or spicier pepper, to taste), lemon juice, soaked almonds or walnuts.

Cilantro pesto: well cleaned cilantro with ends of stems snipped off, line juice, evoo, salt/pepper to taste, any hard cheese you prefer or any soft goat cheese, small amount of mint.
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Pecorino is a classic ingredient of pesto alla genovese, which is considered to be the generic traditional Italian version of pesto for the overseas market. Grana padano (a cow's cheese) is also commonly used in pesto alla genovese instead of parmigiano reggiano.