Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Waking up to pee page 4

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadsie View Post
    Hm yeah my urine is usually pretty much like water. And I often sip on water when I'm bored, so I will just drink when I'm thirsty, though I hardly ever am, probably because I'm drinking quite a lot and eat "a lot" of fruit. Just a CW habit
    I used to have the same habit of sipping water out of boredom, so I know what you mean!

You can deplete your body of electrolytes drinking all the time like that. So ironically, you might actually need some iodine! But you can get plenty by just drinking less water and eating tasty, salty foods. So you can still ignore Grizz.

You might find that you feel warmer and/or more energetic, too--being low on salts can give you mild hypothyroid symptoms.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    How about "micturating"? LOL

micturating - definition of micturating by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

I'd guess your circadian rhythms are off, if you're waking up to do it.

Why you do it too much in general, though ...

I guess it's possible that your very high protein intake is a factor. You were going to take protein powder to Ireland, on the assumption that there isn't enough protein in that island, weren't you? Reminds me of the old Dean Martin joke: they said, "Drink Canada Dry," to him, so he went there and tried do it. (Pardon me for pulling your leg, but you don't seem to mind a joke, so I thought I would.)

I could imagine that your kidneys would need to eliminate quite a lot of waste nitrogenous material, and maybe that would make you go more often.

But that wouldn't explain why you have a life-long propensity.

You could try cutting to back to something more like 100 to 120 grammes of protein per day, which is ample and still likely more than you need, and make that from real food sources (i.e. not powders), and see if that makes a difference.
    The simplest answer is also probably the correct one:
    Hm yeah my urine is usually pretty much like water. And I often sip on water when I'm bored, so I will just drink when I'm thirsty, though I hardly ever am, probably because I'm drinking quite a lot and eat "a lot" of fruit. Just a CW habit
    This habit is a very easy one to get into, as well as an easy one to break, and it's more than sufficient to explain the symptoms. There is no reason at all to suggest arcane pathologies until the simple and obvious solution fails to produce results.

An overabundance of protein and high urea output should make his urine yellower/darker, not clearer.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncephalized View Post
    I used to have the same habit of sipping water out of boredom, so I know what you mean!

You can deplete your body of electrolytes drinking all the time like that. So ironically, you might actually need some iodine! But you can get plenty by just drinking less water and eating tasty, salty foods. So you can still ignore Grizz.

You might find that you feel warmer and/or more energetic, too--being low on salts can give you mild hypothyroid symptoms.
    Since yesterday I started adding iodized salt to my meat, according to cronometer I'm extremely low on sodium. Iodized salt is refined right? But whatever really
    Billie trips balls

How about "micturating"? LOL

micturating - definition of micturating by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

i
    I'd guess your circadian rhythms are off, if you're waking up to do it.

Why you do it too much in general, though ...

I guess it's possible that your very high protein intake is a factor. You were going to take protein powder to Ireland, on the assumption that there isn't enough protein in that island, weren't you? Reminds me of the old Dean Martin joke: they said, "Drink Canada Dry," to him, so he went there and tried do it. (Pardon me for pulling your leg, but you don't seem to mind a joke, so I thought I would.)

I could imagine that your kidneys would need to eliminate quite a lot of waste nitrogenous material, and maybe that would make you go more often.

But that wouldn't explain why you have a life-long propensity.

You could try cutting to back to something more like 100 to 120 grammes of protein per day, which is ample and still likely more than you need, and make that from real food sources (i.e. not powders), and see if that makes a difference.
    Wait, I don't get the joke?
    But anyway, I do eat a lot of protein, but not on purpose. It just comes with the high calorie diet. Today for example i ate around 260g protein. BUT together with 360 g fat and 230g carbs.
    I never eat with the intention of "getting protein" I just eat meat, fruit, nuts, veggies, coconut milk, dairy.
    I have never used protein powder but I was thinking on buying it in case I'd only be fed bread and fruit
    Billie trips balls

wac
    wac is offline Junior Member
    Gadsie, like yourself, I too have this problem. I'm a young male and have suffered with ~3 visits per night to the toilet at fairly regularly-spaced intervals. I've had ultrasounds of my bladder and my prostate has been checked. What I would say is that I tend to have moderate success when I re-train my bladder; that is, deliberately holding the urge off during the day to strengthen. I can get it down to 1-2 visits per night that way. It does however take a lot of mental willpower and effort. You might want to ask a GP about bladder retraining, or just Google it (the information is the same for all!).

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    ... I do eat a lot of protein, but not on purpose. It just comes with the high calorie diet. Today for example i ate around 260g protein. BUT together with 360 g fat and 230g carbs.
    I think the logic behind that "but" doesn't really hold up.

Primal Blueprint 101. The amount of protein you need is best gauged by calculating it from your lean bodymass:

How to Eat According to the Primal Blueprint | Mark's Daily Apple

And this is because protein is needed for body repair, so basing the intake on the size of one's body makes sense.

Accordingly, your needs stay much the same, regardless of your calorific intake.

If you're eating more protein than you need for body repair then:

Deamination is the process by which amino acids are broken down if there is an excess of protein intake. The amino group is removed from the amino acid and converted to ammonia. The rest of the amino acid is made up of mostly carbon and hydrogen, and is recycled or oxidized for energy. Ammonia is toxic to the human system, and enzymes convert it to urea or uric acid by addition of carbon dioxide molecules (which is not considered a deamination process) in the urea cycle, which also takes place in the liver. Urea and uric acid can safely diffuse into the blood and then be excreted in urine.
    Deamination - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you're eating what sounds like more than twice as much protein as you're likely need for body repair, then you have to excrete the nitrogenous waste in your urine.

Here is perhaps a possible reason for frequent urination, though it's only a suggestion.

AFAICT, rations for highly physically active soldiers going back into the Renaissance and Middle Ages frequently allowed a pound of meat (and usually a pound of bread, too). (Whether troops often got the stipulated ration is perhaps another matter.) I'd have thought a pound of meat a day would be enough for anyone.

Why you're eating quite as many calories as you are seems like something you might want to look into. It doesn't sound like a normal metabolism. It's not as if you're performing high-intensity physical exercise all day in the Arctic or something.

Primal Blueprint 101. The amount of protein you need is best gauged by calculating it from your lean bodymass:

And this is because protein is needed for body repair, so basing the intake on the size of one's body makes sense.

Accordingly, your needs stay much the same, regardless of your calorific intake.
    Protein needs do increase with physical activity level, because more damage is done to muscle and other tissues, and tissue turnover is therefore higher.

If you're eating what sounds like more than twice as much protein as you're likely need for body repair, then you have to excrete the nitrogenous waste in your urine.

Here is perhaps a possible reason for frequent urination, though it's only a suggestion.
    Again, this doesn't explain the high volume/frequency of urine or the fact that his urine is always clear. Drinking too much water does. High nitrogen (urea) content in the blood should simply increase the concentration in the urine, not the total urine volume. I.e. he'd have a normal amount of very yellow pee instead of a large amount of very clear pee.

AFAICT, rations for highly physically active soldiers going back into the Renaissance and Middle Ages frequently allowed a pound of meat (and usually a pound of bread, too). (Whether troops often got the stipulated ration is perhaps another matter.) I'd have thought a pound of meat a day would be enough for anyone.

Why you're eating quite as many calories as you are seems like something you might want to look into. It doesn't sound like a normal metabolism. It's not as if you're performing high-intensity physical exercise all day in the Arctic or something.
    He's a (very) thin, (very) active, and growing teenage boy. He's described his daily activities before and they include frequent basketball, biking and other outdoor activities. Couple that with teenage growth and he probably needs as many calories as he can physically stuff down his throat. Teenagers can sometimes require twice as many calories as similarly-sized adults because the demands of rapid growth are so high.

That said, there's no reason so much of his intake needs to come from meat, necessarily--he might do better with a higher proportion of starches. But that would be something for him to experiment with, not something for us to prescribe to him. He may be taking in more protein than he needs, but it won't hurt him any.

My Primal Journal

I think I have a normal metabolism, I'm gaining weight. I was underweight for a while so I'm purposefully eating this much. The theories look logical, but if I would keep my calories the same and lower my protein while upping my carbs/fats I think I would eat an unnatural balance of nuts, fruit, butter and such. I'd rather try to imitate "grok" as much as possible.
    Billie trips balls

Quote Originally Posted by Uncephalized View Post
    Protein needs do increase with physical activity level, because more damage is done to muscle and other tissues, and tissue turnover is therefore higher.

Again, this doesn't explain the high volume/frequency of urine or the fact that his urine is always clear. Drinking too much water does. High nitrogen (urea) content in the blood should simply increase the concentration in the urine, not the total urine volume. I.e. he'd have a normal amount of very yellow pee instead of a large amount of very clear pee.

He's a (very) thin, (very) active, and growing teenage boy. He's described his daily activities before and they include frequent basketball, biking and other outdoor activities. Couple that with teenage growth and he probably needs as many calories as he can physically stuff down his throat. Teenagers can sometimes require twice as many calories as similarly-sized adults because the demands of rapid growth are so high.

That said, there's no reason so much of his intake needs to come from meat, necessarily--he might do better with a higher proportion of starches. But that would be something for him to experiment with, not something for us to prescribe to him. He may be taking in more protein than he needs, but it won't hurt him any.
    I think I'm going to try lowering my calories. And i never though I'd ever say this but, I hope I can get by healthily on less calories now. It's getting a little tiring to constantly make sure i have such high amounts of primal foods etc. Plus I guess I'm at 10-12% body fat right now so it won't hurt
    Billie trips balls

I think I'm going to try lowering my calories. And i never though I'd ever say this but, I hope I can get by healthily on less calories now. It's getting a little tiring to constantly make sure i have such high amounts of primal foods etc. Plus I guess I'm at 10-12% body fat right now so it won't hurt
    As long as you don't try to restrict yourself, dude. Listen to your hunger and make sure you get what you need.

My Primal Journal

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast