Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bacon recommendations? page

JoanieL is offline Senior Member

Bacon recommendations?

Primal Fuel
    I notice that lots of you eat bacon. I confess I haven't eaten it in years and was looking for recommendations from people who know.

I tried to google "healthy bacon," but as you might guess, I got lots of turkey bacon results, which I'm so not looking for.

Gi'mme pork!

Thanks in advance for any info.

I get my pork from local sustainable farms who raise their pigs on pasture, and whose bacon is smoked but contains no nitrites/nitrates. Do you have a farm you deal with? You could check eatwild.com if interested.

ryan54 is offline Member
    BJ's by me has some good, no nitrate bacon. I forget the name, however. Cheap too!

rccrsphil is offline Senior Member
    I know that costco offers a nitrate free bacon as well as their normal kirkland bacon. I started with the no-nitrate costco bacon, but have recently switched to the regular bacon they offer.
    Primal Journal of a Filipino Cherokee Grok
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53103.html

SAD weight: 250
    Current Primal weight: 183.2

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Bj's Wholesale has Applegate Farm's Sunday bacon, uncured. It's pretty good, though not as good as local stuff (much meatier, IMO).
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

TLoRu is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Bj's Wholesale has Applegate Farm's Sunday bacon, uncured. It's pretty good, though not as good as local stuff (much meatier, IMO).
    +1. I Always have applegate farms bacon and cold cuts on hand.

Hawkward is offline Senior Member
    I don't eat a ton of bacon, but Beeler's and Coleman Natural are the two best I've had.

cantare is offline Senior Member
    One thing to keep in mind is that a lot of "uncured" or "no nitrite added" bacon relies on celery juice/powder, which is full of naturally-occurring nitrate. For instance, "Applegate Farms" appears to be in the celery-juice category. There's also a debate over whether nitrates/nitrites are even harmful in the first place, but if you've decided to avoid them, you have to read labels very closely.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Thanks everyone!

I've written those brands down and will check to see if they're available here. I don't know any farmers, so that's not an option for me. No Costco warehouse within 275 miles and Costco.com doesn't have it.

Thanks again.

edited to add: Cantare, you were posting while I was composing. I read something like that at the Whole Foods website, but I'm guessing WF will charge a fortune for their bacon.

Also, if any of y'all have a Facebook account, apparently WFoods is having a contest where they're giving away bacon. I didn't save the link, but I'm sure it will turn up in any bacon/healthy search.
    Last edited by JoanieL; 07-20-2012 at 02:59 PM.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by cantare View Post
    One thing to keep in mind is that a lot of "uncured" or "no nitrite added" bacon relies on celery juice/powder, which is full of naturally-occurring nitrate. For instance, "Applegate Farms" appears to be in the celery-juice category. There's also a debate over whether nitrates/nitrites are even harmful in the first place, but if you've decided to avoid them, you have to read labels very closely.
    Thank you!

I hate being the only one that brings that up (constantly), but it's true. Most people seem to be fine with the nitrates/nitrites, though it's definitely still up for debate. Me? 3-day migraine if I have sodium nitrite, and every time I say anything, all I hear is how they bacon THEY buy doesn't have any. But then it turns out it does, but just in form of celery salt/juice/seed. Same thing, and possibly less regulated.

I do think US Wellness meats might have one type of bacon that REALLY doesn't have any at all, but I haven't actually tried it yet so I don't know for sure.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast