Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bacon recommendations? page 2

cantare is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yeah, that US Wellness stuff has me intrigued too, but haven't tried it yet either.

Sorry to hear about your horrible migraines! I used to have milder ones myself, but none at all since going Primal, so I guess my trigger isn't nitrate. Do you have to avoid celery as well, or only cured meat?

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    If you eat greens at all, you're eating high amounts of nitrates. It's all good. Our organs just get rid of it AFAIK.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cantare View Post
    Yeah, that US Wellness stuff has me intrigued too, but haven't tried it yet either.

Sorry to hear about your horrible migraines! I used to have milder ones myself, but none at all since going Primal, so I guess my trigger isn't nitrate. Do you have to avoid celery as well, or only cured meat?
    I haven't had an issue with anything else yet, but I'm not a huge fan of celery or greens anyway, so I probably don't get enough exposure to do anything anyway.

I would think it was psychosomatic (lots of people think it is) but I've had some when I didn't know it, got the migraine, then found out later it was in there. Same thing with sulfites (like in wine, even if it's used in cooking).
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    If you eat greens at all, you're eating high amounts of nitrates. It's all good. Our organs just get rid of it AFAIK.
    I think, in my case, it dilates my blood vessels too much, and then it starts a chain reaction of over compensating, then swinging back the other way, and ends in a horrible mess and a dark, quiet room.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

TCates190 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Bj's Wholesale has Applegate Farm's Sunday bacon, uncured. It's pretty good, though not as good as local stuff (much meatier, IMO).
    +1 it's the best I have found. I eat their turkey lunch meat too sometimes for a snack...not bad if you don't mind the sodium

PrimallyJenna is offline Member
    I've had the US Wellness meats sugar-free (Whole30 approved) bacon several times and I'm a big fan. It's a little different than normal bacon but still really great. Sometimes I also buy the whole foods brand uncured bacon-also good when I can't get it from the farmer's market.

TLoRu is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the info about applegate! Interesting!

Quarry is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    what does AFAIK mean?

Are you saying don't worry about the nitrates in bacon?

Artichoke is offline Senior Member
    AFAIK = as far as I know

Here in the UK the only nitrate free organic bacon I've found comes from Jody Scheckter's Laverstoke Park Farm in Hampshire. Duchy Originals organic bacon has them but is yummiest bacon I've ever had. Not tried Morrisons organic bacon but it was same price as the stuff from Waitrose for fewer rashers. Tesco organic bacon isn't too bad but has nitrates. In cooking I sometimes sub prosciutto which doesn't have nitrates, atm Marks & Spencer is doing 3 packs for 6.00 GBP and Lidl always has it at 1.99 GBP per pack.

In Sainsbury's on Friday I noticed Oscar Meyer American-style bacon which doesn't sound like a great addition to the great British breakfast

Metric is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
    I get my pork from local sustainable farms who raise their pigs on pasture, and whose bacon is smoked but contains no nitrites/nitrates. Do you have a farm you deal with? You could check eatwild.com if interested.
    Ditto.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast