Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Organs? Really? page 2

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I basically eat heart instead of normal muscle meat whenever I can. Whole foods keeps it in the bottom of the frozen meat cabinet and I just buy it all every week if it's there. Superior on so many levels. Just replacing your normal steaks and ground beef with heart makes a huge impact on your nutritional intake. More protein per pound, zinc, copper, coenzyme Q10, check out heart as a staple meat. You'll probably never look back! And the hard fat that it comes with makes a very creamy tallow.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Or jump right in there and eat some primal friendly haggis!

jkr
    jkr is offline Senior Member
    I get the liver and heart added to my ground beef when I order a side.

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    I was gonna ask if heart was a muscle or organ. I've always loved chicken hearts and they'd be tasty breaded in pork rinds and fried up. I need to learn to prep sweet breads, as they're just brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    tongue is like the best pot roast you'll ever have. not an organ, but usually considered offal.
    I keep hearing how great it is... have one in my freezer I've been saving/afraid of trying to make...

labmonkey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pitbullmamaliz View Post
    Wow. I have to be honest that I am not going to be trying any of these any time soon, but I definitely appreciate the feedback! Maybe once I get better at cooking I'll give it a whirl. *shudder*

:-)
    I've never liked organs. There's a story that comes up in my family all the time. My dad would pay us $10 each if we'd eat liver. $10 back in the early 80s was a lot of money. My sister and I declined. My two brother's dove it. It was absolutly disgusting and hilaious at the same time. One jamming the whole thing in his mouth with the juices oozing out (seriously, this image has been seared in my head since I was 7), the other downing cups of water after every bite. Still makes me laught thinking about it. Then over the years my Dad would try to hide chicken/turkey hearts, liver, "oogies" in soups, stuffing etc. To this day I still subscousiously pick through my food when I'm somewhere unfamiliar confirming it's clean. Oy

But, every few years I try liver, usually in some sort of pate because I discovered a huge change in tastes when I hit my late 20s and figure well maybe I'll like liver. And 38years later, I have to say I still do not like it. Shrug. There's other tasty primal things out there to eat. Sure they might not give me the nutritional punch that offal does but I'll just stick to more veggies/red meat/bone broth, thanks

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    You can always freeze it after chopping it into pill-sized bites and just pop them like a pill.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    tongue is like the best pot roast you'll ever have. not an organ, but usually considered offal.
    This is my favorite cut when going out to KBBQ. People think I'm crazy for forsaking the sirloin for some tongue. Oh well, more for me!

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    My mom would always soak liver slices in milk while the onions cooked; she said this took the bitterness out.
    I buy it online from la Cense and it's scrumptious with Vidalia onions, little garlic, don't over cook, yum, having some tomorrow.

Hilary is online now Senior Member
    Also, heart is so ridiculously cheap! I've just bought myself an old-fashioned mincer, the kind that clamps onto the edge of the worksurface, so heart can easily turn into mince which turns into burgers. (And yes, I trim off and render the fat to use for frying, and devour the crunchy bits... ohgodyum...)

Of course eating the whole animal is traditional, and natural, and the only thing that makes any kind of sense. Eating just the muscle meat and throwing away all the nutritious bits is just one more weird, inexplicable modern aberration. Aren't hunter-gatherers said to have eaten the organs for preference and thrown the muscle meat to the dogs in times of surplus? How did we get things so backwards?

Also... somehow my old vegetarian sensibilities (I was one for 20 years) have turned around into a feeling that it's a mark of respect to eat the whole animal. Of course, that means this former vegetarian can regularly be found in the kitchen slicing up internal organs and admiring the perfection of their inner structure - which strikes some people as quite funny...

(By the way, provided you don't cook liver until it could sole boots, it's nice.)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast