Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Burger Recipes

Hybrid View

Favorite Burger Recipes

another burger thread started getting my mouth watering, so let's talk about how to turn a beef patty into a culinary masterpiece.

i usually just toss some salt and pepper into some ground beef and mix it up, but sometimes i'll add in some onion and garlic (sometimes powdered, sometimes minced).

my favorite burger that i've made, though, had salt, pepper, onion, garlic, chili powder, cumin, oregano, and just a dash of cayenne, and i just poured a little terryaki over them before putting them on the grill. they were great.

what are some other burger recipes people enjoy?

I make what I call hamburger salad....ground beef with just salt and lots of pepper, for the salad just lettuce, tomatoe, dill pickle and purple onion with homemade honey mustard salad dressing....honey, mustard, apple cider vinegar and olive oil.....awesome....yum...now i am hungry! lol!

I don't usually mess with the beef except to add black pepper, but will vary the toppings.

A gently fried egg on top of a burger is like primal hollendaise (sp?) sauce. I tried this with a poached egg and while it's also as delicious, by the time you blot the water off... I'm lazy is basically it.

I've tried mincing mushrooms and putting them in the ground beef instead of sauteed and on top. That's good too.

When I was young, my mom used one burger (still raw) and put a slice of (sadly processed) cheese and a slice of tomato on top. Then she'd put another burger on top and seal the two around the "fillings." I can't remember if she pan fried these or baked them, but she did grill them occasionally. You can update the "surprise" in these. Yes it was called, "Burger Surprise."

Burger bundles (which were originally made with bread stuffing, but no more!). Form burgers into cup shapes. Put them in a small enough baking pan that the cups will hold their shape during baking. Fill them with anything: tomatoes, greens, squash, mashed potato (if you indulge, works really well). Grate a good parm reg over the top. Bake at about 350 'til meat is done to your liking.

I wonder how lightly grilled zucchini would taste stuffed in a hamburger patty, JoanieL!

I have a feeling we're going to be doing burgers a lot next week.

Probably awesome.

I've also been thinking that since I don't like lettuce, but kind of miss picking up my burger in my hands, I could do two fried eggs and use them as the bread. ha. It would be messy, but who's watching?

Made a lamb burger yesterday.. ground lamb, black pepper, onion powder, fresh garlic, and some chopped up rosemary. Every bite I had it with some fresh ground horseradish and beets. Delicious!!

1 lb bacon ground up (I used a food processor)
    1 lb hamburger
    mix, cook, eat.

I had some ground turkey the other day so I decided to whip up some "burgers". I couldn't get it to stay together for anything. Soooo sticky. I made the mistake of tossing in a bit of almond meal, but that made it worse! I ended up using a tbs of coconut flour and that did the trick along w some spices. They tasted great, but it was a pain!

Any suggestions?

We like Kobe Burgers --- Japanese raised beef with a high fat content. Add nothing. Just throw on the grill and voila! Excellent without a bun --- add tomato, onion, pickles and mustard --- instant awesomeness!
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Quote Originally Posted by TLoRu View Post
    I had some ground turkey the other day so I decided to whip up some "burgers". I couldn't get it to stay together for anything. Soooo sticky. I made the mistake of tossing in a bit of almond meal, but that made it worse! I ended up using a tbs of coconut flour and that did the trick along w some spices. They tasted great, but it was a pain!

Any suggestions?
    Here is A Burger Lab post on the topic: The Burger Lab: Turkey Burgers That Don't Suck | A Hamburger Today

My wife does them differently. She always adds an egg to the mixture. Along with tons of other spices. They're absolutely wonderful flavor-wise, but I bet the epplant trick from the above link would improve the texture.

The Burger Lab has a TON of great articles about all things burger: http://aht.seriouseats.com/the-burger-lab/
    The key points are to get freshly ground beef (ideally grind it yourself) and handle it gently, and use high heat the get a great crust.
    Last edited by yodiewan; 07-23-2012 at 07:26 AM.