Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Down 50 lbs-Not noticing physical difference? page 2

cantare is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    "Show" is a subjective term. Have you explicitly measured abdominal girth? Clothes fit any different?

I'm about the same height & body type as you...6'2", started at 341 (or possibly more) and am now down to 231. I too seemed to lose from the extremities first while retaining abdominal fat. Annoying, but common. Even now I appear to have lost much of the trunk girth as visceral fat, with the subcutaneous layer persisting quite stubbornly. That bodes well for health but shortchanges expectations and vanity.

50 lbs can spread itself pretty thin over a big frame...and I'll bet that insidiousness is part of how you got to max weight in the first place. When you're at 320, 10 lbs more isn't a very noticeable change--and unfortunately the same principle applies as you lose. Yet the fat IS disappearing, and you'll probably hit a "tipping point" where it really shows. Then you can enjoy that phase until you hit a stall :-D

For me, the unsolicited comments from others didn't start in earnest until ~80 lbs down. Also keep in mind that wearing the same baggy outfits and just cinching the old belt tighter will mask progress far longer than buying new close-fitting clothing.

Ting is, I don't think it's physically possible for me to drop to 220, 250 sure, but 220 I think I'd look emaciated. I might give ghandi a run for his money. So basically, don't worry, continue as planned? Should I focus on hitting it a bit harder if I want to see results sooner? I'm not exactly hitting the muscle buildup all that quickly, even by the PB standards

Gravyboat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Concrete Indian View Post
    Thing is, I don't think it's physically possible for me to drop to 220, 250 sure, but 220 I think I'd look emaciated.
    You know, I'm a lady, but I have always felt the same way. I've been big my whole life, both tall and thick. My wrists and ankles are like tree trunks and I'm just huge. I figured I would always be big because I have always been big. However, I looked at A LOT of before-and-after pictures of women whose bodies look like mine, and came to the conclusion that I could probably be a lot smaller than I'd previously thought, even accounting for a larger frame. And so far I seem to be correct. I'm currently 13lbs from my original goal, and I'm still quite fat.

So my suggestion would be to look at a lot of before-and-after pictures for a realistic idea of how you might look at lower weights, and just keep doing what you're doing for now. I hate reality tv (and all tv, honestly), but I find that Biggest Loser before-and-afters are pretty interesting. Those people get so much smaller than I would ever guess they could become. And they're not even doing it in the most healthy, easy, and lean-mass-preserving sort of way, but they look really good.

In any case, you will get to where you are going eventually, whatever weight that ends up being. But I think you might be surprised in the end. It might be a lot lower than you thought.

As for whether you should work out more, I would suggest weight-lifting because it's awesome. And shovelglove, because it's even more awesome. I am personally trying to build muscle so my fat isn't as lame and droopy as I lose it. Couldn't tell you if it's helping at all, as I have no control group, but I enjoy it anyway. And no one wants to end up at their goal weight weak and with a lot of work still ahead of them. Kill two birds with one stone: lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. Why not?

_-J o u r n a l_--------- ---- ---- --- --- -- -- -

@ Gravyboat my whole family holds very large frames(And I mean frames as in take away the skin and muscle just leaving the bones, we're a far cry from being small, especially the men. The women can be quite diverse but all the men have frames that make defensemen cry.) So when I say I don't see myself dropping below 250 it's because even looking at my smallest relatives on my mom's side of the family(Whom I greatly take after) sits at 240lbs lean muscle mass at 5'10. For further evidence, my rib cage is gaining muscle mass and I still feel ginourmous compared to the average individual, oh well, I just chalk it up to my Native blood, like I do to most of my odd quirks :P Anyway, I'm starting to see what you guys mean, compared to what I looked like in the past from a side view in the mirror I have improved and when I activate my core to it's hardest I can feel how strong my abdominal muscles have gotten and it surprises me how far in I can bring in the fat...I'm beginning to lean towards some bloat like someone else mentioned.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

jmday is offline Senior Member
    California Native living in land locked Kansas
    Take pictures of yourself. Even if you don't share them, you would be surprised how much you change.

Also don't underestimate your brain. Our minds are wicked creatures. I'm down to a siz 12 (from 24) and when I look at myself in the mirror I see fat me. It is the pictures that really tell the change.

Keep up the good work!!!! You deserve it.

J
    Julia
    Starting Weight 235 - Dec 1, 2010
    Started Primal Mid January 2011
    Current Weight 183
    Goal 160

Get Outside Already!

http://moderndayfitandfood.wordpress.com/
    http://moderndaydesigns.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by jmday View Post
    Also don't underestimate your brain. Our minds are wicked creatures. I'm down to a siz 12 (from 24) and when I look at myself in the mirror I see fat me. It is the pictures that really tell the change.
    Same. I'm down to a 16 from a 24. I don't see a difference in the mirror. If anything, I just see more loose skin which looks worse. Pictures are the only place I see a difference, and only if I have the before and during pics right next to each other.

merryish is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravyboat View Post
    I don't see a difference in the mirror. If anything, I just see more loose skin which looks worse. Pictures are the only place I see a difference, and only if I have the before and during pics right next to each other.
    I'm down from a 32 to a 24. For me that's almost an 80 lb difference, and it's really only in the past month or so that people have started noticing. But man, do they ever notice! So I think there's really something to the idea of a tipping point, where people just suddenly start to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by merryish View Post
    I'm down from a 32 to a 24. For me that's almost an 80 lb difference, and it's really only in the past month or so that people have started noticing. But man, do they ever notice! So I think there's really something to the idea of a tipping point, where people just suddenly start to see it.
    I don't know if people can even tell that I've lost 50lbs. But I do keep hearing "Omg you look great!" I don't know if that's code for "Oh shit! I can tell you have lost a lot of weight but I don't want to offend you by bringing it up!" or if it's "I can't tell why you look good, but you do!"

JosephxXX is offline Junior Member
    Do you eat wheat products? that could be a part fo the problem,I find that bread and other wheat products can cause one to retain weight.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast