Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exhausting first lift heavy things workout page

Sianburton is offline Junior Member

Exhausting first lift heavy things workout

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hey everyone

So I've been completely primal for 5 days now (I wasnt eating a lot of carbs previously but have cut out my daily brown rice and slice of Rye bread and have stop having my daily 2 squares of chocolate)and last night did my first strength workout and it was seriously hard work.

Ive been training for years and would normally have had plenty of energy to complete a workout like that. Is it just that I havent started burning fat properly yet?

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    It is because it is your fist lifting workout. You have probably started with too much weight.

What lifts did you do and what weight did you use for each lift?
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

JRuined is offline Junior Member
    You have probably started with too much weight. x2

I do that pretty often when I'm starting a new routine. All of the farm work and heavy labor I did growing up primed me into thinking I can lift anything if I put my back into it.

Danielfire is offline Senior Member
    Maybe the adjustment.

Sometimes I wonder if it psychological, if you expect carb flu or effect on exercise, by reading too much first. I see it when I try convert my mates to paleo

Kingofturtles is offline Senior Member
    takes longer than 5 days for ur body to switch. I was the same at first too. Tired and weak.

Sianburton is offline Junior Member
    Just using body weight so not lifting too much. 20 full press are normally achievable but were exhausting. Gona stick at though as u can't expect change to happen over night hey

jakey is offline Senior Member
    weightlifting uses glycogen. it's glycolytic work. when you go really low carb, you drain your body of glycogen. takes a long time to replace muscle glycogen on a low carb diet. ergo, glycolytic work is gonna feel like shit.

Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    weightlifting uses glycogen. it's glycolytic work. when you go really low carb, you drain your body of glycogen. takes a long time to replace muscle glycogen on a low carb diet. ergo, glycolytic work is gonna feel like shit.
    and is there a way around this, other than eating more carbs?

jakey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingofturtles View Post
    and is there a way around this, other than eating more carbs?
    not in my opinion. i don't know, different people may adapt differently. i kept lifting during 8 months of constant ketosis, and kept noticing less & less strength, longer recovery times, decreased performance, and ultimately some really, really troubling migraine type headaches that would come on with exertion. i tried everything under the sun, in an effort not to admit that it was lack of carbs. nothing fixed the issue (take magnesium! take potassium! more salt! drink water! yoga & foam rolling! vary your rep schemes), but the instant i added carbs back and broke out of my self-imposed VLC jail - voila, no more problems, strength and performance were back.

If primal was so right for you, then why would you not be able to work out sufficiently without adding non primal carbs to your diet? Seems odd to me. I constantly see this on the forums; people needing to bend the rules in order to do normal things.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast