Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Burgers - how strict do I need to be? page

redmeat is offline Junior Member

Burgers - how strict do I need to be?

Shop Now
    I like eating burgers, and have probably been a little lazy, how bad are these ingredients?

Beef (93%), Onion (4%), Rapeseed Oil, Seasoning (Sea Salt, Black Pepper, Preservative: Sodium Metabisulphite; Antioxidant: Rosemary Extract).

http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/grocerie...=1342788297293

Am I way off paleo here?

cookie is offline Senior Member
    what is sodium metabisulphite? that is a rhetorical question. not to be a jerk, but it sounds like you already know the answer to your question!
    i'd also address the quality of the beef. first off, it's 93% lean? that sounds like a dry burger. try 85%. you need some good fat content in a burger. second, i'm assuming that the beef is loaded with hormones and all kinds of no-nos... but i'm not sure, i don't know the source of it, just the ingredients.
    do yourself a favor. go to the butcher shop and get some ground chuck, 85%, from a reliable source. NIMAN RANCH is a great national brand if your local butcher doesn't have anything fresh.
    i guess i'll let the experts weigh in on your question, because there is so much to know about beef!

edit: i see you are UK. though i doubt you could get niman ranch in a store, no doubt the world is at your doorstep regarding online beef purchases!
    Last edited by cookie; 07-20-2012 at 05:59 AM.

patski is offline Senior Member
    Rapeseed oil is canola oil. Stay the hell away.
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

cookie is offline Senior Member
    why would canola oil be added to any burger, by the way? to compensate for the lack of animal fat in the burger, and so they can label it at 93%, but maintain an oily texture?
    it's too darn easy to just make your own, and they will taste beyond delicious.
    i just wrote about it last night. try it!

http://eatthecookie.wordpress.com/20...ole-30-day-17/

EmeraldRose is offline Senior Member
    We've been making our own burgers recently. Generally 85% ground beef, salt, pepper, garlic, and an egg mixed in to hold them together. Mostly turning out pretty good.
    Journal

Starting: 207lbs | Current: 176lbs | Mini-goal: 172lbs | Ultimate Goal: 130lbs

jesssa is offline Member
    why are you using canola oil in your burgers? use an egg to make it all stick together!
    it does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live

at just the right time, we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don't give up

Baloo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jesssa View Post
    why are you using canola oil in your burgers? use an egg to make it all stick together!
    They're not, they're buying burgers.

Ground beef (grass-fed), salt, pepper. Done.

How easy was that?

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Yeah- burgers are easy to make from ground beef, salt and pepper. Probably cheaper too.

Oh, and sometimes I'll put some minced onion in. Sometimes not.

Just got a new grill, have 2# of GB defrosted, so my big decision will be... onions or no onions in the mix. It's going to require a great deal of thought.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast