Thread: Potentially exciting - 'Omission Beer' page

dwkdnvr is offline Member

Potentially exciting - 'Omission Beer'

Shop Now
    When we go down to our mini-cabin in the Colorado foothills, we indulge in beer among other minor sins. Up till now, the 'New Planet' Off-Grid pale ale has been my choice for the best gluten-free beer I've come across.

My wife just picked up a 6 of 'Omission Beer' pale ale. This claims to be a beer that is gluten-free to 'international standards' but is brewed with conventional ingredients - barley etc rather than sorghum. They appear to post-process to remove the gluten, although they are vague on the details from my quick look at the site.

A quick perusal of the 'news' articles seems to suggest that the lead brewmaster's wife is celiac, which spurred him to go down this path.

Haven't had one yet, but I'll report back after the weekend.

Info here: Omission Beer - Drinking is Believing |

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Saw this in the store recently (buying cider) - I thought it was a Widmer product which means probably not to my taste. Will have to try.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

JBailey is offline Senior Member
    I saw it too, but bought the usual house beer, Sierra Nevada pale ale, anyway. Looking forward to your report though.
    Seven Trees Farm - diversified subsistence farming on 1.25 acres.

Karma is offline Senior Member
    I have had both the Lager and the Pale Ale. Yes they are brewed by Widmer Bros.

They are brewing a standard beer with barley and they using a product called "Polyclar" which is a charged particle of finely ground plastic. The Polyclar is traditionally used in the brewing process (well modern tradition, not old school) to help bind to proteins and drop them out of solution as a clarifying agent. Once they are bound, they are filtered out using high pressure and gradient filter pads. It basically makes the beer nice and pretty, reducing haze. What these guys have done is used enough polyclar to bind a VAST MAJORITY of the gluten protein out of the solution, rendering the finished product "gluten free" to the international standard of less the 200ppm. Independent lab tests have show an average ppm count on the Omission products at right around 5ppm. Some will argue that "gluten free" needs to be 0ppm, something that can't be GUARANTEED using this method. If a ciliac patient were to have an adverse reaction (even if it was from cross contamination from a crouton on their salad), the blame would be placed on the beer

Because its raw ingredients are not 100% gluten free, they can't put "gluten free" on the label on the advice of their legal team.

Its some good stuff, Beverages and More just started carrying it and they are keeping it in the cold case even! At $9.99 a six pack its not a party beer, but I prefer a session beer anyway so it works great for me!

PS - I was a brewer for 19 years so I kinda know about this stuff!

Cheers,
    Last edited by Karma; 07-23-2012 at 04:01 PM.

dwkdnvr is offline Member
    Well, the initial verdict is in, and..........it's OK. Angels did not appear from on high singing 'Hallelujah', but it's a decent Pale Ale. I'd have to do a back to back to be sure, but I don't think it unseats Off Grid as my preferred 'gluten free-ish' beer. Worth checking out, though.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    It would have to be pretty great to beat out some of the local Portland beers I've been drinking on pure taste - but I do eat gluten-free crackers and such once in a while,so I probably should give it a shot.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Karma is offline Senior Member
    The lager is quite a bit more true to style than the pale ale.

unsuperb is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    It would have to be pretty great to beat out some of the local Portland beers I've been drinking on pure taste - but I do eat gluten-free crackers and such once in a while,so I probably should give it a shot.
    Truth, there are far too many delicious beers in brewed in this region. I will say that the Omission beer that I tried (want to say pale ale) tasted better than the other gluten-free beers I've tried.

katiethepiano is offline Senior Member
    I got a free sample of Omission. It's not bad, but it doesn't compare to Estrella Damm Daura, which is not only gluten-free, but an extraordinary beer. Omission is good if you want something a little hoppy-er.
    Visit my blog Primal Homeskillet. And eat it too.

NewLeaf is offline Junior Member
    I'm gluten intolerant, and I definitely had a reaction to the pale ale. I knew it tasted too good to be true.