Thread: Anything I need to change? page

jennf is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

Hi all, I'm hoping I can get some feedback on how I'm doing so far in my new Primal Lifestyle. I've been following PB for about 5 weeks now and have had small but steady progress. It seems, though, that many people have amazing progress so it makes me wonder if I'm missing something. Thought I would check in with the pros!

I am 35, 5'4" and weigh just under 140 lbs. (was 144 when I started 5 weeks ago). I'm also hypothyroid (on small amounts of T3 and T4 meds) and on BC.

I usually eat somewhere between 1500 and 1700 cal/day. No dairy or fruit, but am still eating some nuts (an oz. a few days a week, plus 1/2 tbsp. almond butter mixed with coconut oil every night for dessert) and have a protein shake for breakfast 2-3 times/week. My ratios are generally 10%/25%/65% c/p/f and I am always under 50g carbs. I've also just started IFing and have done it twice so far.

I was following the Power 90 program, but have scaled back a bit. These days I'm doing the weights part of the program 3 times/week and I take a Spin class once a week (I count that as a combo of sprints and play). Other than that I walk for an hour a few times per week, plus daily dog walking, etc.

So far I've lost just over 4 lbs (mostly in the first 10 days), an inch off my waist, an inch off my hips and, sadly 1.5" off my chest LOL! Interestingly, I haven't lost anything off my belly pooch, which I thought would be the first thing to start shrinking.

I have no problem with slow progress, but have to admit that it's slower than I expected. I would love to hear if anyone has any suggestions on changes that would help me with this program. I definitely have some fat to lose and some muscle to gain!

TexasPrimal is offline Junior Member

Jenn- congratulations on a great start. Were you lifting before going primal or did you just start? It could be that you added muscle mass and that could account for the fact that your weight hasn't changed that much. Might want to get your bodyfat % checked. Also, even with primal living the rule of fat loss is first on/last off. That probably accounts for the lack of progress on your "pooch". Keep at it girl. You'll see more progress I'm sure.

jennf is offline Senior Member

Texas, I should have mentioned that. I did Power 90 about this time last year as well, then moved up to P90X. Unfortunately, I injured my rotator cuff and was told no weight bearing exercises while I healed, which took about 6 months. I definitely lost some muscle before I started back.

First on/last off is why I thought my pooch would start going down! That is definitely the last thing that developed. Before the last couple years, my weight was all in my hips and thighs (I'm the ultimate pear shape).