Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can You Eat Too Much Fruit? page

dtrammel is offline Junior Member

Can You Eat Too Much Fruit?

So I've been changing my eating habits over to a primal method, which didn't really mean much more that cutting out starchy vegetables like potatoes so far.

One thing, I've been eating a lot more fruit. We have a nearby Whole Foods, which has mixed cut up fruit cup, without the syrup, that I've been buying. Its usually some grapes and strawberries, on top of melon and calliope slices, and pineapple. I'm in the Midwest of the US, and in this heat, I've noticed I've been eating a lot of this. Probably 4-5 pounds worth a week.

I'm also eating alot of meat (broiled chicken, salmon and beef or bison) on a big leafy vegetable platter, and tons of fresh tomatoes too. (Yo garden!!) Eggs in the morning, nuts for snacks. I've already seen a difference in the way I feel but the weights coming off slowly.

I know the sugar in fresh fruit is different from white sugar, but fruit is also full of dietary fiber so I'm thinking its ok sugar.

I'm wondering, I'm trying to lose 10-15 pounds while building back strength and muscles, is this too much fruit?

Owly is offline Senior Member
    The only way you're going to know if it's too much for you is to track your results and see what happens. I can eat loads of fruit and still lose weight, but other people have to be more strict about it.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    I think if you get diarrhoea, you should cut back on the fruit. Other than that ...
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    You can eat or drink too much of anything. Water is our preferred liquid here on this board, but drink several gallons in 1 day & watch out! Fruit is great, but try eating 2 large watermelons in a 24 hr period. You get my point. I think primitive Grok & Grokettes would overconsume fruit if it was a bumper crop & they were low on other food stuffs. But they would pay a price w/ the runs that night &/or the next day. Native peoples who because of easy & plentiful access, overconsume honey or other fruits & simpler carbs, have more dental caries than their neighbors who don't go so sugar/carb heavy, this is via Weston A. Price website archives (no link, sorry)

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Yes you can. However, the tipping point is quite individual. There is good reason to keep your fructose bellow 50g/day though.

UniqueTII is offline Senior Member
    If you're doing a lot of lifting, just concentrate your fruit intake post-workout.
    I wish I liked to eat liver.

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    I think if you get diarrhoea, you should cut back on the fruit. Other than that ...
    lol! That didn't stop me from eating the other 10 lbs of watermelon after eating the first 5 XD

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    I don't see why you've cut out white potato - I added it back in about a year ago, and felt great. More weight went off (sounds counter intuitive, but there you go) and energy levels rose.

I think the bad carbs are grains? Except white rice occasionally...

micheljohn1 is offline Junior Member
    Yes you can eat lot's of fruits.but it depend on your body situations.if your body need a fibre,vitamin than you should eat fruits.

Ukprimalchick is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I personally have to really cut fruit to almost nothing if I am trying to lose weight. Fruit just seems to make me plateau even at the level of a handful of strawberries and an apple a day. This makes me very sad, but that's how messed up my body is.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast