Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Can You Eat Too Much Fruit? page 3

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by nicolasloran View Post
    When is the best time to eat fruits?Breakfest?tea time?.....
    Anytime, EXCEPT as a late night snack. That will spike insulin production. I used to believe that old admonishment of eating fruit alone. But imo I think fruit eaten w/ whole coconut creme or any full fat dairy product(cream, kefir, yogurt) or other full fat foods (even a few soaked nuts, an avocado), slows down it's digestion & slows down the blood sugar spike normally associated w/ eating fruit alone.

For sure, today's hybridized fruits are tons sweeter & much bigger than ancient fruits. They were smaller, less juicy, more bitter & sour & less sweet.
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

JesseJe is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    Fructose is a known toxin and carcinogen. Glucose ain't. Hence, you can optimise your heath by avoiding fruit and sugar consumption most days.
    Serious?

I think you can eat too much if you want to loose weight that is what happens with me. Also, don't try living on it or even close to that. I think it is very rare that a person can do this if at all possible. I nearly ruined myself trying.

dogfuel is offline Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by nicolasloran View Post
    When is the best time to eat fruits?Breakfest?tea time?.....
    when you're at a weight and body composition you're happy with.... or you've resigned to type 2 diabetes and/or insultun resistance.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Artichoke View Post
    It's all very well saying calories in must equal calories out but over ten years you would only have to eat one extra bite a day to put on extra weight and no-one is that good at calorie counting.
    We can measure calories in, but we can't really measure calories out, because metabolism is dynamic and can change minut-by-minute. This leads people to (incorrectly) assume that since calories out can't be measured or tracked, then it must not exist.

If you want to see an example of your metabolism change, try eating a few spoons of sugar or some fruit. Very shortly afterward, your pulse will likely speed up in reaction to the sugar. This is an indication of increased metabolism. Our bodies are CONSTANTLY adjusting to the amounts and types of food we give it. Eat very low carb or calorie restrict for a few days or more, and your body will slow down metabolism. This may mean that your temperature slightly decreases, your pulse slows down a bit, or any number of unseen internal processes are put on hold.

This is why those suggestions to 'cut 100 calories a day and lose 10lbs per year' don't work; aside from the fact that calorie intake AND activity levels change every day, the body is very good at lowering it's daily calorie requirement when it senses chronic undereating. This is the reasoning behind calorie cycling; a few days of lower calorie eating to burn off some fat, then a day of normal or higher calories to prevent metabolism from lowering in response.

Quote Originally Posted by Artichoke View Post

Any medical textbook will tell you that ingested fat doesn't turn to fat and that carbohydrates cause a rise in blood glucose AND an insulinogenic response.
    Actually, any medical textbook or published article in a medical journal that I've read does indeed say that EXCESS dietary fat is stored directly as adipose tissue.

Uptake of individual fatty acids into adipose tissue in relation to their presence in the diet

The role of dietary fat in adipose tissue... [Public Health Nutr. 2007] - PubMed - NCBI
    My n=1 experience supports the eating excess fat = gaining fat scenarios. When I ate ZERO carb, high fat/protein during a 2 week elimination diet (to diagnose a possible fructose malabsorption issue), I gained some fat. I continuted to eat high fat/low carb, kept putting on fat. When i significantly reduced my fat intake and increased carbs, I've started losing some of that fat.
    Last edited by BestBetter; 07-22-2012 at 12:59 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123