Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can You Eat Too Much Fruit? page 2

Artichoke is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    The sugar in fruit is fructose, which can only metabolised by the liver.

AMonkey is offline Senior Member
    I doubt you can have too much fruit, unless you're eating it exclusively.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    6 oz. of pineapple has about 100 kcals, while 6 oz. of raw spinach has about 50 kcals. spinach has twice the fiber and 2/3 less carbs.

yes, if you're trying to lose weight, there is such a thing as too much fruit.

nuts can be a demon also. they are very easy to overeat. a "serving" of almonds is 1 ounce. that's about 22 nuts.

~~~~~~

eta: for those who like to think "oh, grok would have gorged on fruit all summer cuz it's so plentiful, so i should too..."? the wild varieties back in the day hardly resemble the super-sweet hybrids we buy at grocers and farmers' markets today. it's like comparing cotton candy and rusty nails. to us, much of it would taste barely edible.
    Last edited by noodletoy; 07-21-2012 at 01:48 PM.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    You said you're still losing weight, so why worry about it? This is the time of year when fruit is plentiful and cheap, so go for it. Another month or two and all those lovely berries and melons will start tasting like watery mush. Then you can start another thread about eating too much pumpkin.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Fructose is a known toxin and carcinogen. Glucose ain't. Hence, you can optimise your heath by avoiding fruit and sugar consumption most days.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    When it comes to fat loss, calories are important, but it's a complicated process. And, every body responds differently to the type of food it's given.

For example, I've only ever been able to lose fat by eating high protein/low fat (with plenty of fruit). As soon as I eat a lot of fat, I gain fat. Others have different results. So there's no way for us to tell you how much is too much. I'd follow the previous suggestion of tracking what you're eating and comparing that with your progress (or lack of). Then you can experiment once you see how your body is behaving with what you're giving it.

DashFire is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonmamma View Post
    You said you're still losing weight, so why worry about it? This is the time of year when fruit is plentiful and cheap, so go for it. Another month or two and all those lovely berries and melons will start tasting like watery mush. Then you can start another thread about eating too much pumpkin.
    Agree here. If you are losing weight, then don't worry about it. We have a lot of fruit at my place and I eat it like it's going out of style. But so long as I'm continuing to drop pounds, I'm not bothering with counting or limiting, so long as the foods I'm eating are real (primal) foods. Now, when I hit the inevitable plateau, that will be a different story. I'll actually start doing some counting and considering cutting back on the carbs, including fruit. But until then... tis the season for delicious fruit... so enjoy.
    My Primal Journal - Food, pics, the occasional rant, so...the usual.

I love cooking. It's sexy science that you stuff in your face. - carlh

Artichoke is offline Senior Member
    So many people on here believe in calories and I just don't understand that. Calories were invented in the early 19th century by a Frenchman as a way of measuring how much energy is used to raise the temperature of a set amount of water by one degree.

It's all very well saying calories in must equal calories out but over ten years you would only have to eat one extra bite a day to put on extra weight and no-one is that good at calorie counting.

Secondly if you say a room got full because more people entered than left, it doesn't tell you WHY they did that. Any medical textbook will tell you that ingested fat doesn't turn to fat and that carbohydrates cause a rise in blood glucose AND an insulinogenic response. Doctors used to treat patients with type 2 diabetes by reducing carbs, now they just tell us to stuff meds. But when we low carb, we take the stress off our pancreas as we don't need to produce so much insulin. Insulin is part of the survival mechanism, the more of it in your bloodstream the less fat you lose. Carbs metabolise into glucose,insulin drives it into the cells and the excess is laid down as fat. If you have diabetes 2, it's most likely because your cells got resistant to the insulin. Then the excess glucose is floating around in your blood causing damage.

It's not the fat putting on fat it's the fruit and also protein can be metabolised into glucose too if needed.

Suggest The Skinny on Obesity on YouTube from Dr Robert Lustig MD, paediatric endocrinologist at UCSF and others.

dogfuel is offline Member
    Seems to me that unless you're an elite athlete burning tons of cals and sugar, the answer is an emphatic yes.

fructose (as in HFCS) may be better (or worse) than glucose, bur is still sugar that jacks up insulin levels (though not as much as glucose). Unlike glucose, sucrose must be processed by your liver - unusually large amounts can likely over tax your liver as well as making you fat.

For me, cutting the single banana I was eating each day blew me through a serious plateau - though the banana had a payload that included some good stuff, the bad stuff was as bad (for me) as a candy bar. There are veggies with all the good stuff in fruit (vitamins, fiber, antioxidants...) and nowhere near the amount of bad stuff.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by nicolasloran View Post
    When is the best time to eat fruits?Breakfest?tea time?.....
    D. None of the above

JK...a bit wont kill ya....today.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast