Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Homemade Protein Bars page 3

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I added a tablespoon of coconut oil, yummy and soooo easy, thanks for the recipe.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 5:2 -2 day fast diet with real food every day

curlygirl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by demuralist View Post
    I added a tablespoon of coconut oil, yummy and soooo easy, thanks for the recipe.
    WOOT! - Coconut oil - great idea!
    My blog: Paleo Musings
    Tweeting all things primal: Twitter
    FaceBook: PaleoMusings

We get one shot at life, let's make it amazing

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi View Post
    I've wondered about the peanut butter controversy as well............ but according to Mark - peanuts have a MOLD that is very unhealthy!!! So I'm assuming the mold is transferred into the peanut butter.............. But all things aside! I absolutely LOVE peanut butter!! I have avoided it at all costs since going primal. But I don't know............... peanut butter rocks! and if I could use it to make these awesome protein bars....... well, sorry Mark - but I just might have to go this route. Almond butter is much more expensive!!! Sometimes we just have to do what is most economical.
    Organic valencia PB is tested for aflatoxin, the liver toxin that gives PB it's bad rap. The mold is common not from the nut itself per se but how it's stored before being processed out of it's shell & made into PB. The mold grows between the shell & the peanut itself. So organic growers process it quickly, not allowing it to sit around in hot, humid unairconditioned piles like cheap commercial peanuts growers do. Commercial PB, like many commercial products, come from ugly or small/inferior grade examples of the crop. The pretty peanuts, for example, get roasted & made into presentable top dollar products like the ones you buy in a glass jar. Long story short, organic PB, from a reputable producer, is an ok product. It still has anti-nutrients in it, phytates & lectins, but bodybuilders have been using it to good effect as a source of protein & fat. I have it in the house, use it in satay or Thai sauces once in a while. My mom eats it with a spoon!
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

avocadogirl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Betorq View Post
    Organic valencia PB is tested for aflatoxin, the liver toxin that gives PB it's bad rap. The mold is common not from the nut itself per se but how it's stored before being processed out of it's shell & made into PB. The mold grows between the shell & the peanut itself. So organic growers process it quickly, not allowing it to sit around in hot, humid unairconditioned piles like cheap commercial peanuts growers do. Commercial PB, like many commercial products, come from ugly or small/inferior grade examples of the crop. The pretty peanuts, for example, get roasted & made into presentable top dollar products like the ones you buy in a glass jar. Long story short, organic PB, from a reputable producer, is an ok product. It still has anti-nutrients in it, phytates & lectins, but bodybuilders have been using it to good effect as a source of protein & fat. I have it in the house, use it in satay or Thai sauces once in a while. My mom eats it with a spoon!
    Betorq, you're such a wealth of knowledge and reasonable, balanced advice. Maybe you should write a book? Or let me pick your brain a little.

I made the protein bars again for my oldest. I cut back on the protein powder, more almond butter and a little more unsweetened cocoa, a touch of wildflower honey. He wanted them for after swim camp. Devoured a couple bites (I make them small, bite sized), washed it down with some coconut water and he was right as rain.

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by avocadogirl View Post
    Betorq, you're such a wealth of knowledge and reasonable, balanced advice. Maybe you should write a book? Or let me pick your brain a little. I made the protein bars again for my oldest. I cut back on the protein powder, more almond butter and a little more unsweetened cocoa, a touch of wildflower honey. He wanted them for after swim camp. Devoured a couple bites (I make them small, bite sized), washed it down with some coconut water and he was right as rain.
    Thanks. Picking my brain would be faster & easier than getting a book out of me. I've had a few book ideas over the years, titles & outlines even done on my laptops before, but could never commit the time & steady dedication needed to actuate such a thing as a real book. I read em, maybe some day I'll write 1 or 2 or 3...

Being from Georgia & having been raised on "berled peanuts" in a bag for a buck & growing up on pbj samiches, I definitely know my peanuts . Congrats on feeding your son so well. When I was a kid, it was gatorade (never liked that stuff but drank it anyways) & a banana. I didn't discover coconut water or milk til college. I did love me some coconut cake when I was a kid, it was my preferred birthday cake, alternatingly w/ german chocolate cake...
    Last edited by Betorq; 07-28-2012 at 11:05 AM.
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

avocadogirl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Betorq View Post
    Thanks. Picking my brain would be faster & easier than getting a book out of me. I've had a few book ideas over the years, titles & outlines even done on my laptops before, but could never commit the time & steady dedication needed to actuate such a thing as a real book. I read em, maybe some day I'll write 1 or 2 or 3...

Being from Georgia & having been raised on "berled peanuts" in a bag for a buck & growing up on pbj samiches, I definitely know my peanuts . Congrats on feeding your son so well. When I was a kid, it was gatorade (never liked that stuff but drank it anyways) & a banana. I didn't discover coconut water or milk til college. I did love me some coconut cake when I was a kid, it was my preferred birthday cake, alternatingly w/ german chocolate cake...

I grew up in Switzerland so no nut butters at all until I moved to the USA when I was 12. I instantly fell in love with PB&J sandwiches. I transitioned to almond butter a few years ago, mostly because so many kids have peanut allergies, I could not pack anything with peanut butter for a snack or school lunch. My oldest doesn't mind and prefers almonds and almond butter. He won't touch any vegetable that isn't a pea or a carrot, but I hold out hope and serve tons of veggies anyway. He only has to take a "thank you/gratitude" bite to try them so maybe one day he will eat more of them.

Curlygirl-I'm going to make your meatloaf recipe tomorrow. I'm subbing the pork for turkey only because we don't eat pork at home. I'll let you know how it goes! I have some homemade ketchup to slather on it for the kiddos.

curlygirl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by avocadogirl View Post
    I grew up in Switzerland so no nut butters at all until I moved to the USA when I was 12. I instantly fell in love with PB&J sandwiches. I transitioned to almond butter a few years ago, mostly because so many kids have peanut allergies, I could not pack anything with peanut butter for a snack or school lunch. My oldest doesn't mind and prefers almonds and almond butter. He won't touch any vegetable that isn't a pea or a carrot, but I hold out hope and serve tons of veggies anyway. He only has to take a "thank you/gratitude" bite to try them so maybe one day he will eat more of them.

Curlygirl-I'm going to make your meatloaf recipe tomorrow. I'm subbing the pork for turkey only because we don't eat pork at home. I'll let you know how it goes! I have some homemade ketchup to slather on it for the kiddos.
    Nice! Love to hear how the turkey turns out! Might take a bit more tomato sauce as it will be drier than the pork. Turkey sounds like a tasty twist!
    My blog: Paleo Musings
    Tweeting all things primal: Twitter
    FaceBook: PaleoMusings

We get one shot at life, let's make it amazing

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123