Thread: Muscle recruitment when cycling page

Richardmac is online now Senior Member

Muscle recruitment when cycling

Primal Fuel
    Hey apple eaters. As a kean cyclist who loves to hit the road, off road trails, hill cycles. I have a question.....I use toe clips for my hill and road work, and have worked on my technique so I am engaging my quads and hammies, whilst also feeling it in my abductors and adductors. The area I cant feel it in that is lacking on me is my calf's. I have always been quad strong from my years of squatting and playing rugby, and they take the brunt of the work. How do you guys hit your calf's..heals down/up??

I am doing this in conjuction with PBF LHT (with WOW workouts), is anyone else using this?

Richard

EvRevFit is offline Senior Member
    The main reason you can't feel it is because the calves are used to constantly working. They generally need a much higher amount of stimulation than the rest of the muscles in the legs. Calf raises can be useful if you want to directly "hit" them, though personally I don't see a use for it. Most peoples' calves are overactive anyway, so there's more value in practicing dorsiflexion.
    Josh Vernier, CPT

My Journal

Evolution Revolution Fitness

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me."

-Ayn Rand

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    Please don't use toe clips and straps off road it's so asking to eat a face full of dirt with a bike still attached to you Just get some clipless and propper shoes please

Stand up on the climbs, that will engage your calfs more IME, but to be honest why? Cycling engages the calfs plenty, just cause you are not feeling it doesn't mean they are not working and getting sronger. If you want bigger then cycling is not the way to go.
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

Richardmac is online now Senior Member
    Thanks for the replies guys.

Don't worry I don't clip in when going off road, that sounds painful just thinking about it.

Will start standing up on climbs. I guess I just wanted to hit them harder b/c im v quad dominant and wanted more fow to my legs.

Thanks

Richard

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    Think you are always gonna get big thighs cycling, look at a serious road cyclist in jeans, you can bet they are wearing a belt as the waist is 3 sizes too big to get over their quads
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Glad to hear your cycling and having fun. I've been a 'roadie' and have been for many years. I had the benefit of some great coaching who also advocated the 'heel down' approach. There are many reasons for using 'heel down' and one of them is that it engages the calves and you power is transferred more efficiently from your entire leg to the pedal.

Have fun and 'keep the rubber down!
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.