Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Post pregnancy Weight loss issues page

Jgray513 is offline Junior Member

Unhappy Post pregnancy Weight loss issues

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I gave birth to my first baby 9 weeks ago. I have been primal for almost 2 years. Since giving birth I have cut out dairy completely. Before I got pregnant I was in the best shape of my life, I was working out consistatly and I had achieved the muscle tone and physical physique I had longed for. Then I got pregnant, haha. I only gained 20 pds and have lost 15 since. But now I feel like I'm dealing with this stubborn extra weight....I feel like I look like i did before I went primal. Very dissappointing since I've been more strict than ever with my diet. I have to admit I started making waaaay too many primal friendly cookies and treats which I have now stopped 2 weeks ago. Maybe I'm just impatient and unrealistic but I was hoping to get back in my old jeans by 12 weeks and that is NOT happening!

Basically I'm looking for advice on what to do to help me shed the extra fat and build muscle. IF or any other options for a breastfeeding mother?

Thanks!

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    You are being impatient. Give yourself a break, you just had a baby! I don't have any experience in the matter, so maybe others can chime in, but honestly you are doing much better than most post-baby women would be at this point.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

DoctorB2B is offline Junior Member
    It sounds like you already admitted the culprit with all those cookies With continued breast feeding/primal living, I would venture to guess that you will get pretty close to what your looking for sooner rather than later. I wouldn't jump into anything to far off the beaten path as of yet since you are only 9 weeks postpartum. If you're not seeing anymore results in the next week or two, consider IF once/twice a week or if your just an impatient mom, run a couple trials to see how goes, but keep them short! Baby first!

aimlow is offline Senior Member
    I am 11.5 months postpartum with my second child. I nursed my first child for 12 mo, and my second for 11 mo. Like you, I was fit and lean before getting pregnant with each child. And like you, I was BAFFLED at my bodies refusal to return to its pre-pregnancy state in the time I thought it should.
    With my first pregnancy, I gained 55lbs (oops). With my second, just 25. But with both I didn't see my body return to pre-preg state until I was done nursing. After delivering each baby, I was super strict with my diet and exercise. Two weeks after I had my second I was 10lbs above pre-preg weight. 10.5months after delivery, I was still 10lbs above pre-preg weight.
    I believe that for some people (like me) nursing makes it almost impossible for your body to respond to diet and exercise like it does in a non-nursing state.
    This has just been my experience- now that I'm done nursing, I can see positive changes happening very quickly. This might also be the case for you, OR, it might just be that 9weeks postpartum you hormones are still in a "pregnant" state. You might see dramatic change over the next few weeks, or you might have to wait until you are no longer nursing. Either way, I really believe that hormones are super powerful and can really make a difference.
    And try to remember that nursing your little one is a great gift- to the both of you- and that in the scheme of things, this time is temporary, and in the long run so so worth it!
    Good luck to you, and congrats on your little one.

Thanks ladies. I think I'm going to try IF 12 hrs. Does sleep count? Obviously I don't want it to affect my milk supply so we will see how it goes. So far my recent diet changes I've made are, no fruit, nuts, honey.

Bfast: 3eggs scrambled in ghee & a side of sauerkraut
    Lunch: leftovers, one meatball & tomatoe sauce
    2nd lunch: 2 shredded chk breasts, greens, marinated artichokes & tomatoes (would have added avocado but was out)
    Dinner: coconut milk cauli-rice & a ginger citrus chk stir fry

Today
    Bfast: same as the day before, 3scrambled eggs in ghee, sauerkraut
    Lunch: dinner left overs, coconut milk cauli-rice & chk
    Midday: a glass of goat milk kefir
    Dinner: cinnamon beef stew(from well-fed, sooo good!) & sweet potato parsnip mash, steamed brocc

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    My body took 14 months to get back to it's original shape.

I was frustrated. I knew that I ate well, whole foods, etc. I was vegetarian (but very close to primal vegetarian), was breastfeeding, was active. And yet, my body would *not* budge the weight.

First, it took forever for the pelvic floor to realign, and I did daily exercises on that count.

Second, my body held fat so that I could breastfeed -- on my arms, upper back, and shoulders. THis is apparently one of the many ways that some women hold weight when breastfeeding.

Third, it took a while for my skin to go back on my belly. This was probably because I was over 30. I don't know though.

I was *shocked* and frustrated that it took so long. By the time my son was 1 yr old, my waist, hips, legs, and belly were all good. My pelvic floor was still off, and my chest, shoulders, arms, and back were huge. The pictures look funny, imo.

Once my son had switched to food as his primary nutrition (at 14 months -- though he was nursed until he was 3), the fat on my shoulders, arms, and back went away, and I was my normal size by Christmas. So that was about 6 weeks after DS's 14th month.

YOu are 9 weeks out. and only looking at 5 lbs. I wouldn't worry about it I gained about 25 lbs during my pregnancy. I lost 10 lbs straight off no big deal. I then held on to that 15 lbs or so for a year.

But now I'm under my pre-pregnancy weight, so. . . yeah.

McChunky is offline Member
    I think you're way overthinking and stressing about this at 9 weeks PP. If anything, you're undereating for your needs and a growing baby. Your body is probably trying to fight for it's life since it's working so hard.

I would RELAX and eat primally as much as you want especially good carbs. I went through a plateau if you will when my baby was 6 months old. Guess why? I went über-strict and low-carb and what do you know, my body completely stopped dropping weight. When I went back to higher carb/more relaxed, I finished the last couple pounds and then some effortlessly.

I definetly don't think I'm undereating, my portions are huge! I can sense very well when my body needs more food & breastmilk is plentiful. 5 pounds doesn't sound like a lot to some ppl but I'm very small framed and 5 pounds shows on me. I'm hardly concerned with the number, it's just about getting rid of this extra fat I didn't have before and regaining muscle! It seems common to hold on to extra fat until you stop breastfeeding which sounds so crazy!
    I was just looking for some tips or experiences other moms have had getting their body back! I'll be more patient!

jennylou is offline Junior Member
    IBCLC here, a very small percentage of women will hold on to 5 to 10 pounds pp, most bounce back much quicker. Remember, 9 months on, 9 months off! You're just five pounds away. You'll get there.

Though, if this is your first baby, I will warn you, your shape may never be the same. You'll look good, don't get me wrong, it just will be a little different (for most women).

Good luck and good job nursing your baby!

bionicsamm is offline Senior Member
    Do NOT IF. As a nursing mother, that should be your main focus. You don't want to jeopardize your milk supply and your baby's health for those last few pounds, no matter how frustrating it is. Eat lots of fats, proteins and good carbs (yes really!) It's possible that your body might be one of those that holds onto the last few pounds until you're done nursing. I kept 15lbs until my children weaned and then it just fell off, less than a month, without doing anything different.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast