Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Super low carbs? page

aimlow is offline Senior Member

Super low carbs?

Primal Fuel
    When I eat over 20-30g carbs/day (of high nutrient veg, eggs, meat), I seem to crave sweets and starches like crazy. I also seem to be unable to loose weight, and gain very easily.
    When I keep my carbs super low, I feel good, sleep well, loose bloat, loose lb's..... but I find it hard to maintain this way of eating for too long. I get bored, feel deprived and bitter as my family feasts on fruits and sweet potatoes.
    Also, as a side note, I don't enter ketosis unless my carbs are under 20g/day.

Am I alone here? Or is this more common than I think?

If you are using ketostix they won't show you are in ketosis once you are keto adapted unless you go to zero or near zero carbs.

How do you want to loose. What is your activity level like? Do you walk 2 or more miles 3 times a week? Are you Lifting heavy things?

They all fit together for better results.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    what kinds of foods are you adding after 30 carbs? a giant boatload of spinach? or a bucket full of berries and watermelon? the type of foods matter too, not just carb counts.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aimlow View Post
    When I eat over 20-30g carbs/day (of high nutrient veg, eggs, meat), I seem to crave sweets and starches like crazy. I also seem to be unable to loose weight, and gain very easily.
    When I keep my carbs super low, I feel good, sleep well, loose bloat, loose lb's..... but I find it hard to maintain this way of eating for too long. I get bored, feel deprived and bitter as my family feasts on fruits and sweet potatoes.
    Also, as a side note, I don't enter ketosis unless my carbs are under 20g/day.

Am I alone here? Or is this more common than I think?
    Ketosis agreed with me for a while, then it became quite miserable, so I added back in carbs.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    I am much like you, except that I never feel deprived with this WOE that is keeping me healthy and happy.

When I discovered Atkins in 1972, I followed his instructions for finding your 'critical carb level' (CCL), the level of carbs at which your appetite soars and you tend to gain. I was shocked that mine was only about 25g.

Fast forward to the current time, and after achieving my goal weight, I once again tried to see how many carbs I could add, and I added only green vegetables, mainly spinach and broccoli. Once again, it was only 25g.

However, I feel great eating at that low carb level, mainly fish, meat, eggs, and veggies, along with the fat needed to prepare my food. My 'treats' are nuts and nut butters, used sparingly.

As Dr. A claimed, I believe one's carb level is an individual issue. Some people thrive on 80-100g. I'm not one of them, but I feel best at my level.

Lily Marie is offline Senior Member
    As a type II diabetic, I cannot eat over 25-30g of carbs a day. Nor can I go over 90g of protein. My blood suger explodes and I get the munchies - causing me to eat more carbs and protein.

I love things like sweet potatoes and such, but only being allowed about 3 chunks is not worth it. I'd rather eat something that fills me up - like onions, red peppers, cauliflower and green leaf veggies.

Fletch666 is offline Senior Member
    I seem to be happiest as long as I'm under 50g a day. I don't 'try' to eat low carb, per se, but when I listen to my body and eat what it says I want, that's where I end up. If I cut out the red wine and cheese (never!) and my single daily light beer, I'd probably be down around 25g most days.

tradawg is offline Senior Member
    Have you tried having one high carb day per week? That might keep you from feeling bored/deprived and could also help with weight loss, especially if you stick with your low carb routine the rest of the week. You'll still get the benefits of eating low carb, but will have a day to look forward to feasting on fruit and sweet potatos with your family!
    $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

UniqueTII is offline Senior Member
    I started out like that earlier this year, but once I added in fasting and a lot more walking I was able to eat around 100g/day without any issues. I will say, though, that if my carbs come from fruit and berries I get a lot more cravings than if I eat peppers, tomatoes, broccoli and other foods for carbohydrates, even at the same overall level.
    I wish I liked to eat liver.

Artichoke is offline Senior Member
    On a couple of other forums I've encountered low carb dieters who eat lower carb variants of pizza, muffins etc and they just don't get out of the carb mindset. Then when they lapse with the real McCoy they put on weight. If anyone points out that their low carb diet isn't that low carb, oh boy do they ever get bent out of shape.

If your body is happier low carb and you feel better, then why eat carbs ? Wherever you go, people will try and foist carbs on you, be it IRL or virtual. People who couldn't give up carbs or who failed will tempt you just like the *friend* who offers someone trying to give up smoking a cigarette.

I think you just need more recipes and to focus on your own WOE and not their carby WOE x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast