Thread: Am I doing it right? page

maimarni is offline Junior Member

Am I doing it right?

Primal Fuel
    Hi everyone!

I have posted on this forum before but stayed away for a while. Have been going strong on PB though, almost 3,5 months in and haven't made big mistakes!

I know Marks book by heart but still feel insecure quite often about whether I'm doing it right.

My daily nutrition adds up to around 1400 calories, usually less or way less than 50grams of carbohydrates.

Eat lots of veggies, fish, some dairy (full fat stuff and cheese), eggs, less nuts and every now and then a couple of berries. Drinking just a cup of black coffee in the morning, and lots of water during the day. A single glass of red wine on special occassions.
    Have been 'moving frequently at a slow pace', no 'lifting heavy things' or sprinting, really.

My little cheats (once a week maybe) consist of quark (full fat) with home whipped cream and a pinch (8grams) of vanilla sugar.

I don't feel I am addicted to sugar/carbs anymore, although I do crave a good, crispy pizza of a wholewheat sandwich with cheese, or some choc-chip cookies now and then. I consider those mental/nostalgic cravings, nothing physical there.

Overall I have been feeling so much better: moodwise, sleepwise, energywise, skinwise and headachewise. I have lost some weight, no scale here but my clothes are getting looser, which is great!

My question has to do with weight loss though: is there anything, apart from the exercise thing, that I can do to make things go a little faster? I feel like I need a little more rewards for my hard, but healthy work.

Thanks for anyone who read this or who wants to reply!

Maimarni

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    are you disabled from exercising?

how old are you? do you take meds?

depending upon the damage inflicted from a lifetime of SAD, it may just take you longer than you'd like to heal.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

spinney is offline Junior Member
    You seem to be on the right track, but I am new. I have lost no weight in 3 weeks but have lost 7 inches from my stats, have hyge bicep muscles ans feel better than I have felt in years (scales in trash)

I'm not disabled, just can't seem to find the time. But I will, definitely.
    What you're saying about the SAD (or SED, European) sure is true.

I am 28 and take meds for my menieres disease. And some supplements (vitamin c, b-complex, multivit)

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Why anything "besides exercise"?

Like you said healthy works. You may consider condensing your eating into 1-2 meals/day (IF'ing). There is a thread about it....here is post 2 out of 3. http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread28459.html. I've been doing one meal a day for the past few days and it makes a lot of sense to keep those hormone rollercoasters and digestive processes to a smaller interval of the day. I feel great doing this, and overall more alert through the day.

And meniers is triggered by a lot of things you have eliminated with going primal (well you also gotta ditch caffeine usually), so maybe theres hope of getting off the meds in the long run.

If you can find 15 minutes 2x/week you have enough time to add in all the relevant exercise you need. Just do high intensity resistance training for those 15 minutes.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 07-19-2012 at 01:04 PM.

Because for me the emphasis is on the nutrition, for now. That has always been the problem and is the main thing I want to change. I have always worked out, a lot, without great results because of my eating habits. Due to time management issues I have not worked out a lot, but I spend at least 30mins a day on 'light cardio': bicycle, walking, etc.

I usually eat between 1pm and 8 pm, does that count as IF? I hardly ever eat in the morning. I just drink water and coffee. I will check out the thread, thanks. One meal a day sounds even better, but also seems hard to achieve.. Is it a really big meal? How many calories?

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    generally, i eat 2 times per day, within about a 6-8 hour window. 1 or 2 days per week i'll go 24+ hours often without realizing it.

i am female, 5'2" and seem to do best about 1400-1600 cals.

neckhammer's point is that instead of 30 minutes 5-6 times per week, you could spend 15-30 minutes 2-3 times per week, working hard and likely see better results in much less time.

to me, "30 minutes a day of walking" is far less than my normal just getting to and fro, so it's funny when people count that as exercise. i work in a restaurant and frequently hustle more than 10 miles per shift. just at work.

it sounds like you have the nutrition part pretty dialed in.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

I mean 30 mins beside working in a shop which means standing and walking all day.. So the way to work and back, grocery shopping, things like that. I don't consider it exercise, really.

I have time for those high intensity trainings, thanks, I will start tomorrow!

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by maimarni View Post
    Because for me the emphasis is on the nutrition, for now. That has always been the problem and is the main thing I want to change. I have always worked out, a lot, without great results because of my eating habits. Due to time management issues I have not worked out a lot, but I spend at least 30mins a day on 'light cardio': bicycle, walking, etc.

I usually eat between 1pm and 8 pm, does that count as IF? I hardly ever eat in the morning. I just drink water and coffee. I will check out the thread, thanks. One meal a day sounds even better, but also seems hard to achieve.. Is it a really big meal? How many calories?

What your doing is a 16 hr IF....and yes it counts. I did that for about 2 years before I recently decided to go to one meal in the evening.

I take my time (eat...then pick at food over a two hour period). I've been eating averaging 2200-2300 or so calories in my one meal. I feel quite full when I'm done, but since thats just a couple hours before bed its fine by me. The first day was a bit rough, but each subsequent day has been easier and easier.

I get most my energy from fat, so my meals are pretty nutrient dense. 60f/25p/15c....is probably my usual breakdown. Fatty meats are the biggest thing on the plate....then a bit of cooked veggies and a bit of lacto-fermented veggies. Occasional tators or fruit. Tall glass of raw milk.