Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to avoid beer when... page

keh10 is offline Junior Member

How to avoid beer when...

Primal Fuel
    How am I supposed to avoid beer when making it is one of my favorite hobbies! Seriously, I drink a lot of beer. My buddy and I will brew 60 gallons at a time and that will last us 2-4 months depending on how many parties we have. These aren't your normal piss water domestic beers either. They are barley-carb packed with a punch.

I've been slowly integrating the primal diet over a course of a few months and in the past several weeks have almost fully adopted the lifestyle. I'm not trying to lose any weight so I know that beer isn't such a problem. I'm just trying to live healthier and maybe gain some muscle.

I have a very active job as an arborist so I do the whole "Move frequently at a slow pace" thing 20-30 hours a week and I also lift lots of heavy chunks of wood. I guess my real question for everyone is in my situation how important will cutting back/eliminating beer from my diet be on my long term health as well as the impact it will have on my ability to enjoy all of the benefits of the PB?

Maybe switching over to red wine and only drinking homebrew socially would be a good start?

On another note, I made an amazing elderberry wine from fresh wild elderberries a few years ago. I think a few bottles are still circulating with some friends, but I no longer have any in stock . I'd love to get some more elderberries this year and make it again, but I'm worried with the serious drought we're having here in Arkansas there wont be anything to harvest.

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    Maybe try your hand at gluten free beer? Still not totally primal but better than regular beer.

Tercio is offline Senior Member
    Nice setup. Have you tried mead? Made from honey not grain. It's primal according to Mark. "Seriously, though: if you’re okay with honey and alcohol, mead is a decent option. It’s gluten-free, at least, and contains a fair amount of antioxidant activity (less than red wine, but more than white wine or a disgusting concoction known as “soy-mead”)."

Tercio

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    don't avoid it...just don't drink it all the time. i love beer, so i have some once in a while. definitely don't let it become a daily thing. have a beer once in a while...and share with friends.

Ingvildr is offline Senior Member
    Maybe because I am from Washington state, hard apple cider comes to mind. There are abandoned trees all over the place or sometimes apples just for the asking. Also pear cider and any number of fruit wines, meads or mead fruit combinations. Granted a good quality home brew is probably healthier than anything you can buy. Switchels and shrubs would also be interesting to experiment with although nonalcoholic usually.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Well, if it's what you love to do, then no reason you should stop. Great setup, wow! I made homebrew and wine for a lot of years, so I understand the appeal. Once I got into winemaking, though, homebrewing lost its appeal a bit. Winemaking is a whole lifetime of challenge. I see you're in Arkansas though, maybe not the best place to make fine wines since it's all about the grapes and getting out of their way. I made mine in Cali.

The thing is, if you can dial in all the other aspects of the lifestyle, and maybe cut back on the brewskies a little bit, there's no particular reason you need to stop brewing and drinking, if it's something you love and enjoy.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Well, it's fermented; that's a good thing. You make it yourself, so it doesn't have any garbage in it. You look like the picture of health (shiny hair; rosy cheeks); you're not fat. Enjoy what you enjoy!

snoops is online now Senior Member
    Well I am trying to increase my Primal-ness and I bought some gluten free beer the other day on the recommendation of the liquor store section manager who has turned me on to some very good wines. He said it was actually quit good. He he he....nooooo, not even a little!

Glockin Grok is offline Senior Member
    Make cider and mead and share with your fellow brewers like me?

keithpowers is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by snoops View Post
    Well I am trying to increase my Primal-ness and I bought some gluten free beer the other day on the recommendation of the liquor store section manager who has turned me on to some very good wines. He said it was actually quit good. He he he....nooooo, not even a little!
    Greene's Endeavour is pretty good gluten free beer. Just don't expect it to taste like Coors piss water...
    Peak weight on Standard American Diet: 316.8 lbs
    Initial Weight When Starting Primal: 275 lbs
    Current weight: 210.8 lbs
    Goal weight: 220 lbs (or less): MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

The way "ChooseMyPlate.gov" should have looked:
    ChooseMyPlate

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast