Thread: Need some help refocusing... page

cjeber02 is offline Junior Member

Need some help refocusing...

Shop Now
    Good Evening Everyone,

I wasn't sure where exactly this post should go, I posted it in the Journal section, but I now think it was the wrong spot. Please forgive me the cross post. I'm putting this post out there to see if anyone else has experienced a similar problem...

I started my primal journey at 312 pounds on 12/31/11. I've done very well so far and I hit my lowest weight on 7/9/12 at 238 pounds. That's 74 pounds of weight lost. It's hard to explain how good I felt that day standing on the scale knowing what I had accomplished.

Here's the problem... Since then, I've slipped. My weigh in yesterday was 240.5 which put me up in weight this week (1st time since starting the Primal Diet). Last week and now into this week my diet has been the non-primal junk I ate when I was 300+ and I know that I'm at a tipping point and if I don't make a drastic course correction I run an extreme risk of putting the weight back on. However, I can't help it. I strongly believe that I am carb addicted (Mark's post today was well timed) and I'm at risk of spinning out of control. Tonight I missed a workout AND had McDonald's junk food. I knew McD's was a bad choice, but I couldn't stop myself either.

There are a few events that have transpired since June 1 that I think maybe contributing. I need some input and thoughts...
    1.) 6/13 I had my wisdom teeth out. I started slipping a little bit on my diet then. I had some pudding and mac and cheese (hard to chew regular food). I got back into the workouts in a week, but I started cheating more than I should on my diet.
    2.) 7/1 I developed a nasty jaw infection (a post op complication from wisdom teeth extraction). I was down and out for 2 days and put on 10 days of anti-biotics.
    3.) 6/1 I started a new job. The new job is more demanding and being out a few days for wisdom teeth surgery and again with my jaw infection I'm behind on a project and really stressed out.

I really believe that the stress from my job in conjunction to the system shock my body took from being sick and the anti-biotic treatment has really derailed my diet and I can't seem to get back on track.

Perhaps I just need a pep talk too, but I'm really worried about slipping now as I've come so far. My ultimate goal is 200 lbs by Christmas. I'll need to be back on track soon to get there.

Any advice.

Kindest Regards,
    Chris

Jamilyn121 is offline Senior Member
    Hang in there!

Don't give up. I have been riding a roller coaster just like you. It seems as though every time I start to significantly change the way I look, I start sliding back to old habits. At the end of my rope last week, I went onto amazon and bought the book, "Make Shift Happen." by Wayne Dyer. I am finding it very inspirational and I am also finding some great tools and tips to change my thinking. Maybe this is something that would help you? I am not a huge fan of the website, but I am really enjoying the book.

Other than that, just try to make better choices one at a time. When you reach for a soda or start heading to the drive through, you could start asking yourself, "Is this REALLY what I want to do right now? Could I make a better choice now, and perhaps come back to this snack later?" Starting to make the right decisions more often than not has to be better than just giving up..

I hope some of this helps. Remember, many of us are right there with ya!

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cjeber02 View Post
    There are a few events that have transpired since June 1 that I think maybe contributing. I need some input and thoughts...
    1.) 6/13 I had my wisdom teeth out. I started slipping a little bit on my diet then. I had some pudding and mac and cheese (hard to chew regular food). I got back into the workouts in a week, but I started cheating more than I should on my diet.
    2.) 7/1 I developed a nasty jaw infection (a post op complication from wisdom teeth extraction). I was down and out for 2 days and put on 10 days of anti-biotics.
    3.) 6/1 I started a new job. The new job is more demanding and being out a few days for wisdom teeth surgery and again with my jaw infection I'm behind on a project and really stressed out.

I really believe that the stress from my job in conjunction to the system shock my body took from being sick and the anti-biotic treatment has really derailed my diet and I can't seem to get back on track.
    You mention having just taken antibiotics. Are you taking a good probiotic -- one that you get from a reliable outlet with a reasonable turnover, and probably one that they keep in the chilled cabinet?

Or you might try the bio-kult that the GAPS people recommend:

Bio-Kult Probiotic

You mention stress. Can you try some meditation and/or bio-feedback techniques? Even just taking time to sit and listen to music may help.

As for diet maybe concentrate on getting in some really good nutrient-dense foods: seafood, including shellfish and fish eggs, liver and other organ-meats from grass-fed animals, free-range eggs cooked only lightly, and enough good fats to satisfy you.

ciavyn is offline Senior Member
    Not sure if this will help, but I just heard an interview with Julia Ross about the update to her book, The Diet Cure. She uses amino acid supplements to help break carb addiction. Outside of that...

My theory is that we lose balance in our lives when we don't value ourselves enough. So perhaps the issue is less to do with carb addiction (though I agree with you -- it's brutal as I was an addict, I daresay!), and more to do with some unresolved issues which are causing you to derail yourself. It might be worth considering.

Other than that, look into the "fat adaption" Mark talks about. I didn't really understand it until I had to give up sugar altogether (the brutality!) I've substituted fat for all the empty sugars I was eating, even on a Primal diet (hello, dark chocolate, and homemade coconut ice cream...) I'm not fat adapted, and junk foods don't have near as much hold on me as they used to. You never get that hungry that you can't resist. I think it was another popular member on here (who's name I can't remember) who told me to "throw more fat at it" whenever I ran into hunger or digestive issues. Turns out, he was right.

Don't get down on yourself, though. Stress can reak havoc on your body, and finding ways to alleviate some of that is the most important. Then you'll be able to make better choices.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    you lost 74 pounds in just over 6 months. take a bow.

don't let a 2 pound gain stress you out. plateaus and increases happen, especially as you get closer to your goal weight. actually, i think you shouldn't be weighing yourself at all. scales can't really tell you much. if i were you, i would switch to weighing myself once a month, and focus on your overall health instead.
    the wisdom teeth, the infection, the new job stress...they all suck, but you can put them behind you now. you have to get yourself back on track...maybe not as strictly as you were before, but, regardless, it has to come from you. realize that those things that happened to you are reasons; don't let them become excuses for anything. (by the way, one trip to mcdonalds in six months is nothing...don't fret about that, just don't do it all the time).
    when i get off track like that, nothing brings me back better than giving myself a 30 day challenge. try the whole30, set a goal to walk 100 miles, run a 5k...create a challenge you can meet, but something that will push you. focus on that challenge instead of the scale. then, after that 30 days, check the scale. i'm pretty confident that if you get yourself back on track, you'll hit 200 way before christmas, and have an entirely new goal by then.

Jamilyn121,
    I hear you. I think I just need a bit of a refocus. I think all the stuff I've gone through with the my teeth/jaw and stress has knocked me off the wagon so to speak. I need to make myself and my health a bigger priority. Thanks for the encouragement.

Lewis,
    I'm not on any probiotic. I'm hesitant to take any supplements. I am having some greek yogurt which is supposed to have some probiotics in it so that helps some. If I were to get some probiotic supplements would that be something I can get at GNC?

Ciavyn,

Your post reminded me of something I picked up in January when I started out. 80/20 doesn't really work for me. The old addage "Give a man an inch and he'll take a yard" applies to me and dieting. Give me 20% and I'll take 80%. I like your NO sugars approach.

Primalrob,

Thanks for the reminder that I need to celebrate the accomplishment I've made and not necessarily dwell on a small slip. I also like your recommendation on a 30 day challenge. Right now I have two triathlons coming up (7/29 and 8/12). Those are my training focus at the moment. After that, I'm hoping to get into more short distance speed workouts and some crossfit work for a few months. I'll still maintain my swim and cycling base, but I don't plan to train as hard as I am now. That could also be impacting my diet.

Thanks Everyone!

Regards,
    Chris

-C
    Last edited by cjeber02; 07-19-2012 at 12:23 PM. Reason: wanted to add more

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Lewis,
    I'm not on any probiotic. I'm hesitant to take any supplements. I am having some greek yogurt which is supposed to have some probiotics in it so that helps some. If I were to get some probiotic supplements would that be something I can get at GNC?
    I agree with you on supplements, Chris. I think there's only one or two most of us might need, and for the rest only perhaps particular targeted supplements for people with particular needs.

I'm not sure I'd regard a probiotic as a supplement though. It's just cultured bacteria and a bit of medium for them.

You can, as you say, use some foods, such as yoghurt, for the same purpose. Naturally fermented sauerkraut would be another one. If you don't want to make it, there are some natural brands, like this one:

Bubbies

However, if you've been taklng antibiotics I'm not sure yoghurt is enough. I don't know that you'd have as many live organisms in yoghurt as in a probiotic. A good probiotic would have tens of billions of live organisms per capsule, and yoghurt probably can't match that. Also, yoghurt would be likely only to have about 2 to 4 different cultures in it, whereas the better probiotics have seven or eight or more. The biokult I linked above has 14.

I think if I were you, and had just been on an antibiotic course, I'd probably want to be taking a probiotic once or twice a day and eating some yoghurt and sauerkraut. A healthy gut flora is vital for your health in lots of ways.

It's also -- believe it nor not -- likely to be an important part of the puzzle in weight loss and gain. An experiment some while back showed that you can make a thin mouse fat, or vice versa, by transplanting the gut bacteria from the one to the other. This recent paper suggests a connection between the wrong gut microbiota and obesity:

Comparison with ancestral diets suggests dense acellular carbohydrates promote an inflammatory microbiota, and may be the primary dietary cause of leptin resistance and obesity
    Comparison with ancestral diets suggests dense acellular carbohydrates

On the more general importance of gut flora for your health see this post:

Guts, Germs and Meals: what 37 microbiologist say about diet - Human Food Project

Sorry, I don't know GNC. I'm not in the States. But I just remembered Mark sells a probiotic, so that would be a good option for anyone Stateside:

Primal Flora - Primal Blueprint

I doubt the importance of healthy fut flora can be overstated. One expert considers that there are so many different species in a healthy gut, that even probiotics are only a partial answer:

Cooling Inflammation: Dr. Oz on Gut Flora Repair
    Last edited by Lewis; 07-19-2012 at 01:00 PM. Reason: spelling

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the reminder that I need to celebrate the accomplishment I've made and not necessarily dwell on a small slip. I also like your recommendation on a 30 day challenge. Right now I have two triathlons coming up (7/29 and 8/12). Those are my training focus at the moment. After that, I'm hoping to get into more short distance speed workouts and some crossfit work for a few months. I'll still maintain my swim and cycling base, but I don't plan to train as hard as I am now. That could also be impacting my diet.
    triathlons rule. one of the best things i've ever done.

consider getting into mud runs. they are an absolute blast, the training is way more fun, i think it's actually a better community of racers...plus beer and huge turkey legs.

PrimalCon New York
    Lewis,

Thanks so much to the probiotic information. I'm going to stop in at my local vitamin shop tonight and pick some up. It makes total sense to me.

Primal Rob,

I love triathlons. To this point, I've only done sprint races, but I want to get into Olympic and 1/2 IM distances eventually. I was supposed to do and Oly this summer, but having my teeth out and that jaw infection side tracked me some. Next summer I'll do it for sure. I've considered mud runs, but I'm just not sure on that yet. There are two tough mudders in my area each summer. Maybe I should check that out.

Malcomha,

I think that's exactly where I'm at. I think I just got a little wore out and needed a break. I had a full primal breakfast today and feel a little stronger mental focus than I have.

Kindest Regards,
    Chris