Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Too much slow movement? page

Plamen is offline Junior Member

Too much slow movement?

Shop Now
    Hello there, Groks and Grokettes

Recently i'v started new work(security at a local mall) and yesterday i took my pedometer at work - guess what - 35km walked for a shift(12 hrs with 1 hr rest time)
    My question is: Is there something like "too much"? I don't feel bad after the shift, just some sleep and i'm full with energy, ready for the day. I'm asking for the long term - will there be any bad sides :? Lets say it will be 2-3 times a week.

Cheers,
    Plamen

Ribbons is offline Senior Member
    I can't think of anything wrong with walking a lot 2-3 times a week. Unless you have an injury or some kind of medical condition.

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    Slow walking for 12 hours, with an hour break, two or three times a week seems perfectly Grok-like to me!

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Sounds perfectly reasonable. Eat a little extra if you feel low on energy, and don't be afraid to rest more after those shifts. I work in a hospital and clear 10,000 steps a night in 10 hours. For eight days in a row. And it's very do-able.

EDIT: Whoa. 35km is 52,000 steps! That really is a LOT. Listen to your body. Sit if you need to. But if you're like me, the energy is there and there's no reason to stop.
    Last edited by Knifegill; 07-19-2012 at 07:23 AM.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

federkeil is offline Senior Member
    I don't see a problem.

Did a Europe trip last year with a tonne of walking, first couple days were rough but then my legs/feet got used to it and it was no problem to walk for hours on end.
    I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

Did a Europe trip last year with a tonne of walking, first couple days were rough but then my legs/feet got used to it and it was no problem to walk for hours on end.
    This reminds me of an idea I had once. I believe we are adapted, as a species, to migration. So that a day or two of intense walking will change our bodies, in preparation for potentially weeks or months of hard trekking. I'm sure it's been studied by a few people by now, so it can't be that odd of an idea. But this does make one wonder what a day or two of hard walking followed by days of normal life do to the body. Is the adaptation a good one? Is it useful in normal, daily eating and working - or better reserved for honest-to-goodness calamity-is-forcing-our-tribe-to-a-new-valley sort of event?

Turquoisepassion:
    notontherug:
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

Plamen is offline Junior Member
    Okey Thanks guys - my thoughts are pretty much identical. I'll post some observations in 1-2 weeks

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    If you can find some bad guys to sprint after and something heavy to throw at them you are set!
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    This reminds me of an idea I had once. I believe we are adapted, as a species, to migration. So that a day or two of intense walking will change our bodies, in preparation for potentially weeks or months of hard trekking. I'm sure it's been studied by a few people by now, so it can't be that odd of an idea. But this does make one wonder what a day or two of hard walking followed by days of normal life do to the body. Is the adaptation a good one? Is it useful in normal, daily eating and working - or better reserved for honest-to-goodness calamity-is-forcing-our-tribe-to-a-new-valley sort of event?
    Would this not also signal your body to start conserving energy in the form of fat, though? Because it knows that it will probably need the energy later on? Just also a thought.

I wonder that, too.

Turquoisepassion:
    notontherug:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast