Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kimchee- What do I do with it? page 2

yelena is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    I think of it as spicy sauerkraut, and eat it as a side dish with meat.

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    Dammit Choco, I'm out of bananas.
    Luckily pretty much every grocery and convenience store in the world sells them for 25 cents or less each
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Luckily pretty much every grocery and convenience store in the world sells them for 25 cents or less each
    Yes, I remedied the situation this afternoon when I went to pick up my pants from the tailor. I think I know what I am going to try for lunch tomorrow.

We go through 3-6 bananas per day around here because there are three adults who all like them. It's not to the level that certain internet fruitarian gurus might consume, but I'm sure it's enough to give the average VLC fruitphobe nightmares. They run out fast--I bought two large bunches and expect I'll have to get more by Monday.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Betorq is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    We go through 3-6 bananas per day around here because there are three adults who all like them. It's not to the level that certain internet fruitarian gurus might consume, but I'm sure it's enough to give the average VLC fruitphobe nightmares. They run out fast--I bought two large bunches and expect I'll have to get more by Monday.
    Wow, that's a lot of daily bananas for anyone "normal"(j/k) that isn't vegan or fruitarian or living in the tropics. You, my friend, have a (mild)banana habit, lol. A lot of the time, I buy my naners discounted & put them directly in the freezer @ home. Frozen bananas, even unadorned w/out flaked coconut or other delights, I've come to really appreciate the sweet savory simplicity of just a 1/2 banana all by itself. I put these mildly darkened nanaers in the freezer peel & all, got a bunch of 'em in there in the door. I just got out of the habit of eating them @ room temp & yellow lately...maybe it's a summer thing. My kimchi is almost done, it's been 9 days on the fridge, 4.5 more to go, yummm....
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Lol! That's only 1-2 per day. Not *that* crazy for active people. I love my fruit, what can I say? I had a lot of stomach problems as a kid, and bananas and scrambled eggs were the only things I would eat and keep down for a while, and both those things are still staples in my diet.

I do the same thing when I find the bruised/old ones on the clearance shelf. The frozen ones are also great for smoothies, making bananacado pudding, or (shhhhhh!) baking. I peel mine and freeze them on a sheet and then put them in a big freezer bag. Freezing them first stops them from sticking together.

Anyhow, this thread made me cook up some rice bowls with Korean-style beef, some lightly-cooked spinach with sesame oil and rice vinegar, garlic scapes from the CSA, and a healthy dose of kimchi. I had to be quick, though. The new jar I opened started to bubble over and was threatening to become a kimchi volcano all over the kitchen counter.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Damn I love me some Korean food! I peeled garlic for over 90 minutes last night, making a new, bigger batch

When I went to Korea a few years ago, I think I was the only person in our group that gained weight eating Korean food all the time (but I was pretty skinny at the time, so it didn't hurt). I love love love it. But then, I eat my way through every country I visit.

Owly's Journal

Fiji is offline Senior Member
    Can eat it with rice rolled in some nori (seaweed).

Kimchi stew with tuna or pork is great. Stir fry some pork, add kimchi and boil with a little water or stir fry some well fermented (sour) kimchi with sesame oil, add a can of tuna and boil with some water. Your house will *stink* and your neighbors will probably think something died in your house. But kimchi stew is so good! Em, better with some rice though.

Tuna and Kimchi fried rice is a Korean fast-food classic. Add a plain omelette on top for kimchi "omu rice."

As stated by others, also good as a condiment with meats and greasy food.
    Last edited by Fiji; 07-19-2012 at 09:50 PM.

johnmjoy is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Kimchi and sardines - breakfast of champions!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast