Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Deep nutrition" page

texas.grok is offline Senior Member

"Deep nutrition"

I have finished rereading the book “Deep Nutrition” by Dr. Catherine Shanahan, M.D. and I would highly recommend it as a study further into the history of what we are supposed to eat.

Dr. Shanahan provides a clear picture of what both processed and natural foods do to, or for our bodies but it does it in a very simple to understand way.

Here “recipe” for eating is pretty basic and she calls it her “Four Pillars” of nutrition.

Pillar 1: Meat on the bone

Pillar 2: Organ meats

Pillar 3: Fermented and sprouted foods

Pillar 4: Fresh, the benefits of raw

I would say the book follows PB about 90%. She does talk about eating bread but not the off the shelf processed stuff but things like natural sprouted grain bread. She makes the case that, while bread was a big part of cuisine centuries ago, and still is today, the bread they ate in the past is nothing like the artificially colored, flavored and vitamin fortified processed crap we eat today.

She if very pro-raw foods including non-pasteurized whole milk, cheese made from raw milk, raw or lightly cooked vegetables, etc.

In the conclusion in her book she says:

“In Selling sickness authors Ray Moynihan and Alan Cassel explain “there is a lot of money to be made telling healthy people they are sick.” The prologue in their book, published in 2005, paraphrases a candid interview with Merck’s now retired chief executive Henry Gadsen, originally published in Fortune more than 30 years ago. “Suggesting he’d rather Merck be more like the chewing gum maker Wrigley’s, Gadsen said it had long been his dream to make drugs for healthy people. Because then, Merck would be able to ‘sell to everyone’.”
    She goes on to say:

“Merck CEO Henry Gadsen’s 30 year old dream was to make healthy people buy drugs they didn’t really need. But he was dreaming small. What I see happening now is more sinister, more profitable, and promises to have longer-lasting repercussions than merely creating diagnoses that lead to unnecessary prescriptions. What is seen is a massive campaign of nutrition related disinformation that has reordered our relationship with food and reprogrammed our physiologies. Industry has moved past selling sickness and learned how to create it. Whether by intent or simply fortuitous coincidence, today’s definition of a healthy diet enables corporations to sell us cheap, easily stored foods that will put money in their pockets and more people in the hospital.”
    Has all the changes in the way we eat, with subsequent health effects, been a huge conspiracy by the medical-food-pharmaceutical companies? Or have was the initial intents into defining what “healthy” is done with good intentions and, once gone wrong, covered up and exploited by those industries? Or was it all just a massive, unplanned, trip down the path to where we are now?

Doesn’t really make much difference, it is what it is. But as it says in my signature:

Your system is perfectly designed to deliver the results you are receiving
    I highly recommend the book.
    Randal
    AKA: Texas Grok

Quote Originally Posted by texas.grok View Post
    Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
    http://hardcoremind.com/

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by texas.grok View Post
    I have finished rereading the book “Deep Nutrition” by Dr. Catherine Shanahan, M.D. ...

I would say the book follows PB about 90%. She does talk about eating bread but not the off the shelf processed stuff but things like natural sprouted grain bread. ...

She if very pro-raw foods including non-pasteurized whole milk, cheese made from raw milk ....
    Yeah, I don't know if she has connexions with the WAPF but she mentions Price himself in the book and she's definitely more in that area of the "ancestral health movement spectrum" than the Paleo area.

I'd agree that it's a wonderful book and one anyone could benefit from.

She's got some interesting material on her site, too:

drcate.com

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    It's a good read, but I don't consider it canon- some questionable things in there.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    I don't think anyone should be considered "canon" when it comes to this stuff. You have to be able to take what you need from a given source and figure out what works for you. I feel the same way about Sisson, Wolf, Cordain, or any other writer on this stuff. No gurus, just people with good information that you can use or not as you see fit.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    I don't think anyone should be considered "canon" when it comes to this stuff. You have to be able to take what you need from a given source and figure out what works for you. I feel the same way about Sisson, Wolf, Cordain, or any other writer on this stuff. No gurus, just people with good information that you can use or not as you see fit.
    I agree 100%- I didn't mean to imply I thought there was much(if any)canon out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Apex Predator View Post
    It's a good read, but I don't consider it canon- some questionable things in there.
    Such as?

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Cool, no worries.

I just see a lot of people around here embracing one ancestral health expert or another as their guru and adopting a "____ said it, I believe it, that settles it!" attitude. Critical thinking skills are always useful.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    I thought it was a good read. I like a variety of views.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Quote Originally Posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
    Such as?
    It's been a while since I read it, but I think she over-states some things about appearance and health, as well as being a little anti-carb for my tastes. As noted above, I think she's ambivalent on gluten.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Apex Predator View Post
    It's been a while since I read it, but I think she over-states some things about appearance and health, as well as being a little anti-carb for my tastes. As noted above, I think she's ambivalent on gluten.
    Essentially all those complaints are about your tastes, which aren't really a measure of anything.

The book is a tremendous achievement that has had a ton of work put into it and that reflects many years of experience working with all sorts of different patients by a lady who's a qualified medical doctor as well as having studied biochemistry at a prestigious and difficult to-get-into university.

I wouldn't follow all her recommendations msyelf -- I don't touch cereal grains, for example -- but with her background and experience she has a lot more credibility than I.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast