Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Neanderthals Sported Arms Like Popeye page

JBailey is offline Senior Member

Why Neanderthals Sported Arms Like Popeye

Shop Now
    Hit the link for the full article...

Why Neanderthals Sported Arms Like Popeye | LiveScience

"Neanderthals have really interesting upper bodies," researcher Colin Shaw, a biological anthropologist at the University of Cambridge in England, told LiveScience. "If you and I are both right-handed, you'd expect 4 to 13 percent asymmetry between our arms. Neanderthals have up to 50 percent or more asymmetry. They were doing something with their dominant arms that were either more intense or repetitive or both than we do today. The only population of modern people that we see who are similar are tennis players, who hit tennis balls many, many years aggressively."

Edit to add - My partner suggested maybe they were fapping to cave art
    Last edited by JBailey; 07-18-2012 at 08:10 PM.
    Seven Trees Farm - diversified subsistence farming on 1.25 acres.

wiltondeportes Guest

Must have been their strong hand...

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    It's possible they had developed a form of knife or stick fighting (think Irish shillelagh) by that time as well. The technology was there and the musculature suggests that to me.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

wiltondeportes Guest
    I'm a little stumped on this one. It clearly has to be some sort of tool use, in my mind. Could be a weapon, a digging stick, a construction tool.

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    My right arm was almost twice as large as my left when I was practicing with weapons regularly. Just saying.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

JennaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JBailey View Post
    Edit to add - My partner suggested maybe they were fapping to cave art
    HAHA my immediate thought xD

JennaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wiltondeportes View Post

Must have been their strong hand...
    my germs!

Owly is offline Senior Member
    I had a friend a few years ago who was a seriously competitive fencer (competed at the national level), and his dominant arm was huge compared to the other. I can imagine that use of hand weapons plus heavy use of hand tools of whatever type could definitely lead to muscular imbalance if they tended to be strongly dominant on one side.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JBailey View Post
    Hit the link for the full article...

Why Neanderthals Sported Arms Like Popeye | LiveScience
    Yeah, intriguing. From your link:

The researchers found that spear-thrusting led to significantly higher muscle activity on the left side of the body than on the right, opposite to what is seen in Neanderthal fossils.
    So, as they say, either it can't have been from spear-thrusting or most Neanderthals were left-handed.

I wonder if they were using missile-weapons? I wonder what pattern of muscle-activity throwing a javelin would result in -- not that I know offhand whether any of their toolkits contain stone-points that suggest anything like a throwing-spear.

Then I guess there's throwing a large stone one-handed -- a pound or so in weight. Maybe they'd do that.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Hanging from a branch with one arm while grabbing fruit with the other comes to mind. But most likely weapon use is the culprit I'd guess. And ritualistic male assertion games like arm-wrestling or stone hurling make sense, too.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast