Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why Neanderthals Sported Arms Like Popeye page 2

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    So, as they say, either it can't have been from spear-thrusting or most Neanderthals were left-handed.
    Possibly relevant?

Gene for Left-Handed Trait Discovered

I wonder whether Neanderthals had brains with the same degree of asymmetry as modern humans. I'm not sure we can assume that they were right handed just because most modern humans are. I'm curious as to whether those researchers who are studying Neanderthal genetics have identified whether this gene is present in their specimens.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

carlh is offline Senior Member
    Wanna high-five?

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    Wanna high-five?

Okay it looks like he's having trouble holding that thing up. Maybe he should throw in some whole body stuff so he can walk without falling to the side.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    It's genetic, Alex. Though he could bulk up his non-wrestling arm, I suppose.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    It's genetic, Alex. Though he could bulk up his non-wrestling arm, I suppose.
    He should. Having one arm like that is a huge athletic disadvantage.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, but I don't know that he considers himself so much of an athlete as he does a spectacle.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Yeah, but I don't know that he considers himself so much of an athlete as he does a spectacle.
    I guess that's the problem. Nobody seems to view fitness itself as important anymore. Sure, people have their obssessions with sports, but that's not really the same thing, is it?

Figlio di Moros is offline Senior Member
    He's a professional arm wrestler, if memory serves me correct. So, in a way, the assymetry's part and parcel to his sport.

wiltondeportes Guest
    I'm going to hazard a guess that Neanderthals relied on projectile weapons for anything they couldn't manhandle themselves or escape to safety from. Why? They couldn't run for shit.

This stronger forearm was their spear-throwing arm. You see this same effect, albeit on a smaller scale, with baseball players. Especially pitchers.

Figlio di Moros is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Except Neanderthals aren't known to have had projectile weapons; in fact, it's believed they didn't. IIRC, the injuries sustained and structure of their bones indicate dense musculature and routine injuries consistant with close encounters with prey.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12