Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 47

Thread: How can your carbs get over 100g on primal?

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    How can your carbs get over 100g on primal?

    I have seen where people are following Mark's carb curve while going Primal, but i cant see where their carbs are coming from if they are truly primal, and are not consuming lots of fruit. Maybe i am not counting my carbs correctly? Here is a typical primal day for me: breakfast:three scramby eggs, grass fed beef or bacon, a little cheese. Lunch: salad with meat, evoo a squeeze of lime, maybe a little tomato, cucumber. Snack: macadamia nuts. Dinner: grilled meat with grass fed butter and veggies. Late snack: greek yogurt with raspberries. I dont see where i might have consumed more than negligible carbs except with the raspberries( 30g?). So, i really dont see where i could be over 50 g of carb per day? I would think that you would have to have three servings of fruit or sweet potatoes to get over 100 g of carbs. Am i missing something? Is there a carb source i am not considering?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Texarkana
    Posts
    112
    how are you tracking your food

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    4
    Since when is fruit not "truly primal"?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    GA & CA
    Posts
    885
    Is the cheese soft or hard? Some more carbs hidden in softer cheeses, than hard ones.And well, what are the portions & types of the "veggies"? Greek yogurt has more protein than normal yogurt, but still has some carbs. Portion for that? Raspberries are awesome imo, but they do count too. Echoing catdance62, how exactly are you counting them up to or over 100g?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    9,414
    It is pretty darn hard. I have to really try to break 100g. If I'm not actively working to break 100g I can't. I just have not interest in adding that much starch or fruit to my day. It displaces the foods I actually enjoy.

    But, one thing you may be missing is that the PB carb count INCLUDES fiber and sugars from vegetables. So there is no "net" carb count.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    310
    My carb is usually around 130g/daily, I eat a lot of vegetables and salad. I can easily get over 100g, and I only have fruit once a day if that. I wonder how anyone does under 100g!

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexy View Post
    My carb is usually around 130g/daily, I eat a lot of vegetables and salad. I can easily get over 100g, and I only have fruit once a day if that. I wonder how anyone does under 100g!
    this. while right now i'm eating whatever the hell i want to, when i'm being strict about my diet, i eat a ton of vegetables and a little fruit (one or two pieces). even without sweet potatoes (or potatoes), i easily go over 100 g in a day. measure your food and plug it into a tracker like paleotrack.com. if most of the volume of your food comes from vegetation, it's quite easy. but you have to remember: fresh fruit, honey, sweet potatoes, and cassava are all strict paleo. also, not everyone eats < 1500 cal per day; you really can only eat so much protein and fat before you just need something else for palatability. on a 3000 calorie diet, if you're restricting your carbs to under 100g/day, that means you must consume 2600 calories in fat and protein. to further that example, that would be like 800 calories from protein (200 g protein -> 2lbs lean chicken breast) and 1800 calories from fat (200 g of fat-> 2 sticks of butter).
    Last edited by Saoirse; 07-18-2012 at 09:36 PM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    9,414
    Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse View Post
    on a 3000 calorie diet, if you're restricting your carbs to under 100g/day, that means you must consume 2600 calories in fat and protein. to further that example, that would be like 800 calories from protein (200 g protein -> 2lbs lean chicken breast) and 1800 calories from fat (200 g of fat-> 2 sticks of butter).
    Well, even lean chicken breast contains some fat, and to that if you really are a high fat eater (your choice of energy)....your not buying the lean chicken breast. Your meat profile would be more like the 80/20 ground beef where 65% or so of the calories are from fat.....hence no need for the full sticks of butter

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Western Canada
    Posts
    109
    Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse View Post
    this. while right now i'm eating whatever the hell i want to, when i'm being strict about my diet, i eat a ton of vegetables and a little fruit (one or two pieces). even without sweet potatoes (or potatoes), i easily go over 100 g in a day. measure your food and plug it into a tracker like paleotrack.com. if most of the volume of your food comes from vegetation, it's quite easy. but you have to remember: fresh fruit, honey, sweet potatoes, and cassava are all strict paleo. also, not everyone eats < 1500 cal per day; you really can only eat so much protein and fat before you just need something else for palatability. on a 3000 calorie diet, if you're restricting your carbs to under 100g/day, that means you must consume 2600 calories in fat and protein. to further that example, that would be like 800 calories from protein (200 g protein -> 2lbs lean chicken breast) and 1800 calories from fat (200 g of fat-> 2 sticks of butter).
    The bolded part is me. I ate vey low carb for the first month, besides the fact my thyroid started to get all screwy (I was going into hibernation mode), I was getting bored with just meat and veggies. With over 4 months behind me, it is very typical for me to have a serving of fruit with every meal and a decent portion of tuber/winter squash at least 5 times a week. I've never tracked but, assume I get close to 100g several times in the week. At 5'4" and not obese to begin with, I've lost 12lbs along the way and I feel good!

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexy View Post
    My carb is usually around 130g/daily, I eat a lot of vegetables and salad. I can easily get over 100g, and I only have fruit once a day if that. I wonder how anyone does under 100g!
    If your fruit is about 30g, you are eating 70g+ of veggies and salad? That seems to me like a crazy amount of veggies and salad. Maybe i am underestimating the carbs in veggies and salad, but i looked at the labels and the serving sizes. I could not eat a pound of carrots, and that equals 40g of carbs, and i believe they are one of the higher carb veggies. Please dont take me wrong. I am not trying to be argumentative. I am just wondering if veggies and salad add up quicker than i thought.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •