Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How can your carbs get over 100g on primal? page

Karma33 is offline Member

How can your carbs get over 100g on primal?

Primal Fuel
    I have seen where people are following Mark's carb curve while going Primal, but i cant see where their carbs are coming from if they are truly primal, and are not consuming lots of fruit. Maybe i am not counting my carbs correctly? Here is a typical primal day for me: breakfast:three scramby eggs, grass fed beef or bacon, a little cheese. Lunch: salad with meat, evoo a squeeze of lime, maybe a little tomato, cucumber. Snack: macadamia nuts. Dinner: grilled meat with grass fed butter and veggies. Late snack: greek yogurt with raspberries. I dont see where i might have consumed more than negligible carbs except with the raspberries( 30g?). So, i really dont see where i could be over 50 g of carb per day? I would think that you would have to have three servings of fruit or sweet potatoes to get over 100 g of carbs. Am i missing something? Is there a carb source i am not considering?

catdance62 is offline Senior Member
    how are you tracking your food

CasterlyGrok is offline Junior Member
    Since when is fruit not "truly primal"?

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Is the cheese soft or hard? Some more carbs hidden in softer cheeses, than hard ones.And well, what are the portions & types of the "veggies"? Greek yogurt has more protein than normal yogurt, but still has some carbs. Portion for that? Raspberries are awesome imo, but they do count too. Echoing catdance62, how exactly are you counting them up to or over 100g?

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    It is pretty darn hard. I have to really try to break 100g. If I'm not actively working to break 100g I can't. I just have not interest in adding that much starch or fruit to my day. It displaces the foods I actually enjoy.

But, one thing you may be missing is that the PB carb count INCLUDES fiber and sugars from vegetables. So there is no "net" carb count.

VacillateWildly is offline Senior Member
    My carb is usually around 130g/daily, I eat a lot of vegetables and salad. I can easily get over 100g, and I only have fruit once a day if that. I wonder how anyone does under 100g!

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexy View Post
    My carb is usually around 130g/daily, I eat a lot of vegetables and salad. I can easily get over 100g, and I only have fruit once a day if that. I wonder how anyone does under 100g!
    this. while right now i'm eating whatever the hell i want to, when i'm being strict about my diet, i eat a ton of vegetables and a little fruit (one or two pieces). even without sweet potatoes (or potatoes), i easily go over 100 g in a day. measure your food and plug it into a tracker like paleotrack.com. if most of the volume of your food comes from vegetation, it's quite easy. but you have to remember: fresh fruit, honey, sweet potatoes, and cassava are all strict paleo. also, not everyone eats < 1500 cal per day; you really can only eat so much protein and fat before you just need something else for palatability. on a 3000 calorie diet, if you're restricting your carbs to under 100g/day, that means you must consume 2600 calories in fat and protein. to further that example, that would be like 800 calories from protein (200 g protein -> 2lbs lean chicken breast) and 1800 calories from fat (200 g of fat-> 2 sticks of butter).
    Last edited by Saoirse; 07-18-2012 at 09:36 PM.

Timthetaco is offline Senior Member
    You're kidding yourself if you think tubers and fruit aren't primal, or that they're somehow less primal than olive oil. It's easy to break 100 grams of carbohydrates if you're not in the ketogenic mindset.

Quote Originally Posted by Timthetaco View Post
    You're kidding yourself if you think tubers and fruit aren't primal, or that they're somehow less primal than olive oil. It's easy to break 100 grams of carbohydrates if you're not in the ketogenic mindset.
    I did not realize that i thought tubers And fruit are not primal. I looked at what I ate for a typical day, and it seems to me that the only carb sources that are not negligible is the raspberries. Lettuce, cheese, cucumbers, and other veggies seem to have ridiculously low carbs, so my point was that one would either have to eat several pieces of fruit and or sweet potatoes to break 100g of carbs. All the veggies i looked at in my house had very low carbs, even carrots(one pound=40g of carbs). So my point was that i think it would be hard to eat that many carbs with mainly veggies. It seems to me that it would take either multiple servings of fruit and/or starchy tubers, or some combo of the two.

PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexy View Post
    If your fruit is about 30g, you are eating 70g+ of veggies and salad? That seems to me like a crazy amount of veggies and salad. Maybe i am underestimating the carbs in veggies and salad, but i looked at the labels and the serving sizes. I could not eat a pound of carrots, and that equals 40g of carbs, and i believe they are one of the higher carb veggies. Please dont take me wrong. I am not trying to be argumentative. I am just wondering if veggies and salad add up quicker than i thought.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast