Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: How can your carbs get over 100g on primal? page 5

js21 is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Hey folks,

Is this thread still relevant? I just started and have the same sort of Q.

I am eating nothing but meat, no carb cheese, and various veggies (90% of the time it's broccoli, brussels sprouts and butternut squash).

The average carb count is easily 115-130g.

In fact, I noticed that if I ate a bowl of plain oatmeal with peanut butter for dinner, instead of meat and veg, it has me at less carbs than my meat and veg meal!

I'm currently a sedantery to moderately active female eating around 1700 calories per day, which is my BMR pretty much.

Any thoughts on getting further down to the sweet spot?

Thanks!

AshleyL is offline Senior Member
    Easy, eat four Japanese persimmons! Mmmm

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Careful now....I'd agree with the rest of your statement as to your own N = 1, but many people do just great with fat as their primary fuel source. To each their own. I actually feel orthorexic trying to up my carbs. Just doesn't happen natural like.
    yep

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    How? Why easily, when I feel like eating veg.

If I fancy eating plenty of veg one day, I could eat this much (sometimes more, but rarely so).
    2 bananas: 54g
    6 prunes: 32.2
    100g sweet potato: 17.8g
    1 onion: 9.5
    1 pepper: 11.8
    100g butternut squash: 10.8
    That's 136g of carbs WITHOUT counting any dairy or nuts I may have.

Planned out, it'd look like this:
    BREAKFAST
    1 banana
    100g greek yoghurt
    25g almond butter
    = 31.8g
    SNACKS
    1 banana
    6 prunes
    =59.2g
    DINNER
    Curry with the remainder veg and some meat. Carbs include a few extra for ginger, garlic and other whole seasonings.
    =52g
    Total for the day:143g carbs.
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

oxide is offline Senior Member
    kochin, that's not really a lot of veg. It's fruit and dairy.

In general, I eat 3/4 cup berries, 1/6 of a banana, and 2 cups veg (or one cups veg and 1 piece fruit like apple). That gets me to about 100 g for the day. I aim for colorful veggies for the anti-oxidants rather than the carb count. It's amazing how colorful lunch is when the good stuff isn't dwarfed by a giant beige bun.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Timthetaco Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by oxide View Post
    1/6 of a banana
    What do you do with the other 5/6 of the banana?

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by oxide View Post
    kochin, that's not really a lot of veg. It's fruit and dairy.

In general, I eat 3/4 cup berries, 1/6 of a banana, and 2 cups veg (or one cups veg and 1 piece fruit like apple). That gets me to about 100 g for the day. I aim for colorful veggies for the anti-oxidants rather than the carb count. It's amazing how colorful lunch is when the good stuff isn't dwarfed by a giant beige bun.
    Meh, it's vegetation, either way.

To be honest, I can't think of any true "veg" examples at the moment because my brain is is "Winter-mode", so it's all: starch, nuts, some fruit and almost entirely meat. And 100g of yoghurt isn't very much dairy at all. I can have HEAPS more when I feel like having dairy. 500ml unhomogenized milk, 200g greek yoghurt, 200ml double cream AND 100g butter. Just don't really fancy it at the moment. "Winter-mode", as I said. Just feel like root veg, meat, scrambled egg, dried fruit and nuts and hot stews.

Some days over Summer and Autumn I could eat 200g sweet tater, 2 large carrots, 2 medium parsnips, 4 leaves of cabbage, 150g mustard leaves, 80g green beans...etc ON TOP of any fruit I fancied. But, at the moment, as long as the odd bit of plant matter goes in, I'm happy.
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345