Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: How can your carbs get over 100g on primal? page 4

VacillateWildly is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Karma33 View Post
    If your fruit is about 30g, you are eating 70g+ of veggies and salad? That seems to me like a crazy amount of veggies and salad. Maybe i am underestimating the carbs in veggies and salad, but i looked at the labels and the serving sizes. I could not eat a pound of carrots, and that equals 40g of carbs, and i believe they are one of the higher carb veggies. Please dont take me wrong. I am not trying to be argumentative. I am just wondering if veggies and salad add up quicker than i thought.
    Maybe the online counter I use is wrong, but I don't think I eat a pound of carrots in one go! I have a couple of tomatos with my breakfast and usually one big salad a day plus meat and veggies at night. My salads are big, but not colossal. All the little bits and pieces of veg do add up. I haven't been eating much fruit recently and have been deliberately eating more meat and fat, so don't need as many vegetables. I tend to be around 80 - 130g now. And that's without any starchy tubers. I eat beetroots and some sweet potato maybe once a week or so. I am also surprised by my carb intake, but it is what I want to eat and enjoy eating...so I go with that.

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    specifically what are u questioning?
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Quote Originally Posted by primalTatoolover View Post
    I find it hilarious that this question even needed to be asked. BTW, not to diss Mark, but if you listen to some of the more active physicians actually working with clients like Chris Kresser, he doesnt even count veggies as part of the carbs for the day. meaning if youre getting 50-100 grams from greens and colors, youre not giving your body a good enough amount of glucose and should get some sweet potatoes into your diet. lets face it, if your body gets dysregulated from eating alot of brocolli(besides from a gas point of view) then you have more issues then just carbs.
    I know the Jaminets consider eating lots of vegetables besides starch to still be a zero carb diet because they are mostly unusable and get intercepted before they are able to contribute glucose in any meaningful way. I tend to agree because I tried to raise my carb level using tonnes of veges like tomatoes, beans, carrots and it basically had no effect. It wasn't until I started using starch and fruit like bananas that it had a meaningful impact.

VacillateWildly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
    I know the Jaminets consider eating lots of vegetables besides starch to still be a zero carb diet because they are mostly unusable and get intercepted before they are able to contribute glucose in any meaningful way. I tend to agree because I tried to raise my carb level using tonnes of veges like tomatoes, beans, carrots and it basically had no effect. It wasn't until I started using starch and fruit like bananas that it had a meaningful impact.
    Interesting, I thought carbs were carbs. What has been the meaninful impact?

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexy View Post
    Fats are not fats. They vary in quality drastically. Similarly, carbs vary in quality. Energy availability is related to the glycemic index and load. Leafy vegetables have next to no glycemic load, so they don't affect your blood sugar much at all. If it's not affecting your blood sugar, it probably isn't very efficient at being converted into energy. Since carbohydrate is transformed into sugar into your body to use as fuel, if it's not affecting your blood sugar, chances are it isn't providing a lot of sugar for energy. Try going a week eating very lean protein with next to no fat and 50g of carbs from green, leafy vegetables. You'll have next to zero energy because you're not ingesting fat or usable carbs. Now keep your protein and fat the same, but eat zero vegetables and get your 50g of carbs from white potatoes and your energy will pick up because they're highly bioavailable carbs.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexy View Post
    Lethargy, depression, hair loss, sleep problems were all helped by as little as a few potatoes and pieces of fruit in place of what I thought was a higher carb content from vegetables (around 120g of carbs from non starch vegetables). Basically I didn't feel any different between eating and not eating vegetables.
    Here's the jaminet quote.

"I ate a high-vegetable but extremely low-carb diet from December 2005 to January 2008. At the time I thought I was getting about 300 carb calories a day, but I now consider this to have been a zero-carb diet, since I don’t believe carb calories are available from most vegetables. Vegetable carbs are mostly consumed by gut bacteria, whose assistance we need to break down vegetable matter, or by intestinal cells which consume glucose during digestion."
    Carbohydrate Deficiency | Perfect Health Diet
    Last edited by Forgotmylastusername; 07-19-2012 at 09:53 PM.

Wafaa is offline Member
    I was actually trying to gain weight, and on a 2000cal/day diet I was counting and aiming for 150g of carbs everyday. All primal.

I simply did not realize what a huge amount of food that is!! I was eating a big white potato, 2 bananas, several portions of fruit, a cup or so of dairy just to get to 150g. That's besides all the meat and fat I was eating.
    Yeah, that didn't work out too well for me. I felt overstuffed and nauseous all the time, and then started going through some random hypoglycemic episodes frequently.

I quit trying to gain after a couple of weeks because I felt terrible. I now eat all the carbs my body wants me to (including a daily banana, fruit, dairy, and an occasional potato) and I still fall pretty short of 100g. Truth is, without grains, it pretty hard to go over 100g or 150g on a daily basis.
    My art blog.

Quote Originally Posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
    Lethargy, depression, hair loss, sleep problems were all helped by as little as a few potatoes and pieces of fruit in place of what I thought was a higher carb content from vegetables (around 120g of carbs from non starch vegetables). Basically I didn't feel any different between eating and not eating vegetables.
    Here's the jaminet quote.

"I ate a high-vegetable but extremely low-carb diet from December 2005 to January 2008. At the time I thought I was getting about 300 carb calories a day, but I now consider this to have been a zero-carb diet, since I don’t believe carb calories are available from most vegetables. Vegetable carbs are mostly consumed by gut bacteria, whose assistance we need to break down vegetable matter, or by intestinal cells which consume glucose during digestion."
    Carbohydrate Deficiency | Perfect Health Diet
    That's an interesting quote from Jaminet. It seems incredible to me that gut bacteria (and intestinal walls) could remove 1200 kcal of carbohydrates before it was ever used by the rest of the body, though. Is our gut biome that active?

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wafaa View Post
    I was actually trying to gain weight, and on a 2000cal/day diet I was counting and aiming for 150g of carbs everyday. All primal.

I simply did not realize what a huge amount of food that is!! I was eating a big white potato, 2 bananas, several portions of fruit, a cup or so of dairy just to get to 150g. That's besides all the meat and fat I was eating.
    Yeah, that didn't work out too well for me. I felt overstuffed and nauseous all the time, and then started going through some random hypoglycemic episodes frequently.
    "huge amount of food" is definitely subjective, as i don't consider that to be a huge amount of food (as a semi-active woman of healthy weight who does not work out or intentionally exercise).

your carb math doesn't add up. one large potato and two medium bananas alone contribute 110 g carbohydrate. I don't know what "several portions of fruit" means, but if you add one apple, you're up to 166g carbs for the day, without the other fruit (since you said several) or cup of dairy.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse View Post
    "huge amount of food" is definitely subjective, as i don't consider that to be a huge amount of food (as a semi-active woman of healthy weight who does not work out or intentionally exercise).

your carb math doesn't add up. one large potato and two medium bananas alone contribute 110 g carbohydrate. I don't know what "several portions of fruit" means, but if you add one apple, you're up to 166g carbs for the day, without the other fruit (since you said several) or cup of dairy.
    +1

I easily hit 100g or more in a day and I am a healthy weight, active woman. I also eat more than 2000 calories a day and don't find that I am eating a "huge amount of food" at all.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast