Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How can your carbs get over 100g on primal? page 3

labmonkey is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse View Post
    this. while right now i'm eating whatever the hell i want to, when i'm being strict about my diet, i eat a ton of vegetables and a little fruit (one or two pieces). even without sweet potatoes (or potatoes), i easily go over 100 g in a day. measure your food and plug it into a tracker like paleotrack.com. if most of the volume of your food comes from vegetation, it's quite easy. but you have to remember: fresh fruit, honey, sweet potatoes, and cassava are all strict paleo. also, not everyone eats < 1500 cal per day; you really can only eat so much protein and fat before you just need something else for palatability. on a 3000 calorie diet, if you're restricting your carbs to under 100g/day, that means you must consume 2600 calories in fat and protein. to further that example, that would be like 800 calories from protein (200 g protein -> 2lbs lean chicken breast) and 1800 calories from fat (200 g of fat-> 2 sticks of butter).
    The bolded part is me. I ate vey low carb for the first month, besides the fact my thyroid started to get all screwy (I was going into hibernation mode), I was getting bored with just meat and veggies. With over 4 months behind me, it is very typical for me to have a serving of fruit with every meal and a decent portion of tuber/winter squash at least 5 times a week. I've never tracked but, assume I get close to 100g several times in the week. At 5'4" and not obese to begin with, I've lost 12lbs along the way and I feel good!

jakey is offline Senior Member
    tubers and fruit are absolutely needed. i wouldn't event count the carbs in green veggies or eggs, or whatnot. starch and fruit - and they're primal too.

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    tubers and fruit are absolutely needed. i wouldn't event count the carbs in green veggies or eggs, or whatnot. starch and fruit - and they're primal too.
    Leafy greens I'd agree with you. They're mostly useless for an energy source. But brussels sprouts, string beans, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, turnips, radishes...I'd count them.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Well, even lean chicken breast contains some fat, and to that if you really are a high fat eater (your choice of energy)....your not buying the lean chicken breast. Your meat profile would be more like the 80/20 ground beef where 65% or so of the calories are from fat.....hence no need for the full sticks of butter
    it was just an example, i didn't want to mess with the calculations. nevertheless, no one really needs that much fat and protein. i've found that i can lose weight just as easily on a moderate carb primal diet, and i don't feel orthorexic like i do when i restrict my carbs.

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Alcohol and Avocado are high in carbs....adding a few of these items to your daily intake can ramp the carb #'s.

I'm strict with my intake right now and daily averages are:
    protein 60-80 grams
    Fat 60-70 grams
    Carbs 30-45 grams

If I add an avocado, glass of wine (or two), 1/2 cup of yogourt, a few berries --- I'll be up around 70-90 grams of carbs. It's amazing to me how fast the carbs can add up. For now, I need to have the watchful eye on counting calories to experience continual weight loss towards my ultimate goal.

/louisa
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse View Post
    :nevertheless, no one really needs that much fat and protein.
    Careful now....I'd agree with the rest of your statement as to your own N = 1, but many people do just great with fat as their primary fuel source. To each their own. I actually feel orthorexic trying to up my carbs. Just doesn't happen natural like.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Louisa655 View Post
    Alcohol and Avocado are high in carbs....adding a few of these items to your daily intake can ramp the carb #'s.

I'm strict with my intake right now and daily averages are:
    protein 60-80 grams
    Fat 60-70 grams
    Carbs 30-45 grams

If I add an avocado, glass of wine (or two), 1/2 cup of yogourt, a few berries --- I'll be up around 70-90 grams of carbs. It's amazing to me how fast the carbs can add up. For now, I need to have the watchful eye on counting calories to experience continual weight loss towards my ultimate goal.

/louisa
    seriously questioning that carb math...

Catharsis is offline Senior Member
    Eat a handful of cashews, have some sweet potatoes, eat some vegetables that aren't green and leafy. I don't find it difficult to get to 100 grams at all.

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    The dirty little secret are carbs are mostly irrelevant. "Counting carbs" is easier than "counting calories," and people with metabolic issues who have unstable blood sugar have better satiety on a low-carb diet so they naturally eat less. That's why the Primal Blueprint works - you're restricting calories without noticing because you're eating whole foods higher in fat and protein, which naturally suppress hunger. As a side effect, blood sugar becomes stable since you're not constantly snacking on frankenfoods and energy levels regulate. There's no magic here.

Ultimately, if you have a properly functioning metabolism, carbs are no less effective at weight loss than fats. They may even be more effective since they increase thyroid function whereas fats have less of an effect. You may find, once your metabolism is healthy, you lose more fat cutting fats and adding carbs. The reason is you can have a similar food volume for less calories - displacing avocado for parsnips or sweet potatoes will give you less calories for a similar food volume. Ultimately, eat the foods that fill you fastest and keep you the fullest since you'll require the least amount of calories for satiety.

The thing you want to make sure of is your carbs are quality carbs - sweet potatoes, bananas, plantains, berries, oranges, melons, etc. Grains and legumes, not so much!
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Careful now....I'd agree with the rest of your statement as to your own N = 1, but many people do just great with fat as their primary fuel source. To each their own. I actually feel orthorexic trying to up my carbs. Just doesn't happen natural like.
    ok, maybe not "no one." but even on a 2300 cal intake (generally), i felt orthorexic trying to stay around 50 g carbs/day, and i was eating so much fat which just took the joy out of eating.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast