Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How can your carbs get over 100g on primal? page 2

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    This is not a low carb diet. Fruit, tubers, even white rice is a loose gray area. My carb calories and fat calories are roughly equal. I average around 175g/day. Days I left weights I consume well over 300g. Sweet potatoes and fruit.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse View Post
    on a 3000 calorie diet, if you're restricting your carbs to under 100g/day, that means you must consume 2600 calories in fat and protein. to further that example, that would be like 800 calories from protein (200 g protein -> 2lbs lean chicken breast) and 1800 calories from fat (200 g of fat-> 2 sticks of butter).
    Well, even lean chicken breast contains some fat, and to that if you really are a high fat eater (your choice of energy)....your not buying the lean chicken breast. Your meat profile would be more like the 80/20 ground beef where 65% or so of the calories are from fat.....hence no need for the full sticks of butter

I've only been doing Primal for a couple days, but I get some more carbs because I use a drizzle of ranch dressing or BBQ sauce here and there for a little extra punch. I also am a decent amount of fruit 'cause it's just so TASTY right now!
    Liz in Cleveland

Started Primal 7/17/12
    5'9"
    SW: 227.2
    CW: 213.6
    GW: 175

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Karma33 View Post
    I did not realize that i thought tubers And fruit are not primal.
    LOL. No. Fruit is primal. Have you actually read the book or the blog, or even looked at the PB shopping list? I have it on my fridge, and there's a whole section for fruit.

Some posts from Mark's blog on the topic of fruit:

Search Results | Mark's Daily Apple

And the shopping list, which definitely includes fruits:

Primal Blueprint Shopping List | Mark's Daily Apple
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Karma33 View Post
    Please dont take me wrong. I am not trying to be argumentative. I am just wondering if veggies and salad add up quicker than i thought.
    IMO you are correct. But you are allowed a couple servings of fruit or some sweet potatoes, and those do add up quicker. Plus, there are things like beets and various squash varieties that have quite a good size carb load. I did all veggies one day and got to near 100g on a day where I had a lot of squash.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    For me: white rice, white potatoes(sweet ones don't agree with me), raw honey, dairy, sometimes fruit, veg, there's lots of options.

fufonzo is offline Senior Member
    I'm usually below 100g of carbs and the reason I'm even close is because of the half-bananas I put in my shakes.

It would be very difficult to reach 100g if you don't eat tubers or fruit. But those two are primal so that's how primal people go over 100g.

Milk also has a lot of carbs so if people drink a lot of milk, that'll boost it as well.

Right now, I'm losing weight, but when/if I get to a stage where I want to gain mass, I'll probably start eating more fruit and sweet potatoes.

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    It seems to me that it would take either multiple servings of fruit and/or starchy tubers, or some combo of the two.
    That is primal to eat sweet potatoes and several pieces of fruit.

The only people he tells to watch the fruit and starchy carbs are people trying to lose weight.

primalTatoolover is offline Senior Member
    I find it hilarious that this question even needed to be asked. BTW, not to diss Mark, but if you listen to some of the more active physicians actually working with clients like Chris Kresser, he doesnt even count veggies as part of the carbs for the day. meaning if youre getting 50-100 grams from greens and colors, youre not giving your body a good enough amount of glucose and should get some sweet potatoes into your diet. lets face it, if your body gets dysregulated from eating alot of brocolli(besides from a gas point of view) then you have more issues then just carbs.

Ribbons is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I don't know how many grams of carbs I eat but even though I'm trying to lose weight, I try to eat a lot of carbs from fruit and vegetables because otherwise I get cold and tired all the time and my metabolism seems to slow down. Sweet potatoes, bananas, apples, etc. are pretty high in carbs and I also have sushi once every couple of weeks. I eat less fat to make up for it.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast