Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Conventional bacon and sausage - yes or no? page 2

ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I make my own bacon and sausage (both fresh and cured) so I know exactly what cuts of meat and the prorportions of spices and cure etc that go in to it, Aftter learning about sausage making, I am much more suspect about the amount of water that is in commercial sausage. Yes, water is used as a "filler" in some sausages. Sausages that are "emulsions" (hot dogs, bologna etc) there is ALOT of water in them....

As far as nitrates go, there are more nitrate in fresh spinach than are in commercial bacon.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndChance View Post
    Dairy is creepy. Just coat your pan with some coconut oil and cook up 2-3 organic eggs-- I can find them at any grocery store, even Walmart. You won't be hungry and you don't have to mess around with anything questionable. Works for me in a pinch, anyway.
    Why is dairy "creepy"...
    I've actually met the cows that my milk comes from, they happen to be very lovely bovine ladies.
    100% organic, pastured, grass fed beauties. All three of them.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Wildrose is offline Senior Member
    Personally, I'll eat store-bought bacon although I prefer my nitrate free type. Sausage, I like to get Spolumbo's... they have an ingredient list three items long, last time I checked. Pork, spices and water, haha. I do occasionally eat sausage with a few more ingredients but I try to avoid anything containing sugar.

ATTAACK is offline Member
    I just found this: The ?No Nitrites Added? Hoax | Michael Ruhlman

I have no idea who this guy is, but his reasoning seems plausible at first glance. I've seen the packages of bacon that say "nitrate free" and they do indeed have celery powder. What I did not know is that vegetables provide most of the nitrates we consume. If this is true, then what's the big deal with it being in bacon? Have we been duped by clever marketing?

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    ruhlman is a brilliant food writer who has co-authored with thomas keller and keeps a great food blog. i have a mad crush on him.

About Author, Food Writer, Blogger, Michael Ruhlman | Michael Ruhlman
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12